29 January 2015

Jane Austen's House Museum

Have you ever lost yourself in Sense & Sensibility?  Been frustrated at that Mr. Darcy in Pride & Prejudice?  Or wondered why it took so long for Edmund to see the light?!  I'm not much of a reader, but I can equally get lost in any number of the films!  The dresses, the homes, the beautiful walks, the love stories.

Tucked away in Chawton, Hampshire is the Jane Austen's House Museum.


Jane spent the last 8 years of her life in this sweet cottage.  She revised 3 of her works, wrote 3 more and started another all while living here.

The cottage has been kept true to Jane's day.

The bakehouse


My friend and I enjoyed free admission on December 16, Jane Austen's birthday.  This might just be an annual tradition for us.  Carolling, tea, coffee & treats.  It added a lovely touch to the already beautiful atmosphere of the cottage.


The garden.
I can just imagine Jane & Cassandra taking a turn about the garden.




The Austen's donkey carriage


Jane & her sister, Cassandra's bedroom.  The two were very close.


Although not Jane & Cassandra's bed, they likely would have had one similar.

The guest room for visiting family.  I learned from the museum that her family was quite close.


Each room was fitted with lovely fireplaces.


The cottage holds some of Jane's belongings.  A quilt that she made with her mother and sister, some of her jewelry, letters, paintings and this table where she would have penned her works.




A replica of her ring can be purchased in the gift shop.  It was hard to resist this beautiful piece.  I didn't get it, but it sure looked nice!


To finish up our Jane Austen day, we couldn't help but look out across the fields where Jane must have taken numerous walks and gotten so much inspiration.  Such a beautiful place!


Just an hour and a half southwest of London, the Chawton House, home of Jane Austen, is a must!

Are you a lover of her stories??




25 comments:

  1. I have never read a single book by Jane Austen and I only suffered through Pride & Prejudice (the movie) once because a friend made me. :) I don't know what it is...maybe I just don't care for that style? I also can't watch Downton Abbey.


    Doesn't the city of Bath have something for Jane Austen, too? We visited and I remembered reading her name somewhere there, but wasn't sure what it was about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big Jane Austen fan myself but I can really appreciate the history and the mark she left on literature. What a cool piece of history.

    V
    Life+1

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you Sarah! It's kinda like cruises, some people love it, some people hate it. :o)

    V
    Life+1

    ReplyDelete
  4. The jury is still out for me on cruises, too. I've never been, but I'm wary of going on a trip where I only get a few hours at each destination. The thought of that kind of stresses me out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so a lover of her stories and I would love to visit this house. I'm an avid reader, but reading her books in the old English is tricky, so I tend to just dive in and enjoy her movies! I absolutely adore Jane!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh and I would have had to buy that ring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow- this would be so incredible to see. So much history and romance! I'm so glad you got to go!!

    www.hollandsreverie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read many Austen novels (though I must say 'Pride and prejudice and zombies' was utterly hilarious) but there is something utterly special about living the history!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love Pride & Prejudice. I've never heard about this place! What a cool piece of history.
    www.thepassportlifestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That ring! Oh my, I so so want to go here!! How have I ever before been?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only read a few of her stories, but it looks like her house would be an amazing place to visit just due to the history it contains.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's amazing to me that, even though she didn't reach fame while living there are so many of her things that have been kept!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would have loved to, but priorities!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that I am able to enjoy these on the screen! I think I need to get a Jane fix in soon and start some watching!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a fan of Jane Austen but I didn't know about this museum. Looks like the sun was out for you!

    Suze | LuxuryColumnist

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohh I like the ring. I bet it was hard to resist. That looks like a cool visit! I've shamefully never indulged in any Jane Austen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Big fan of Austen and I really want to go visit now! I mean this looks like such a quintessential english cottage too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is this one and one in Bath. Not sure of any others.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely place! It really must have taken you back in time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a neat visit! I like Jane Austen alright, but on my my colleagues LOVES her; I'm passing this post on to her right now...

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...