08 April 2014

Ancient Yew Tree

At the beginning of the year I wrote about exploring the area around me.  As of April I think I've got a pretty good jump start on that goal!  Having visitors helps that.  I've done a bit of exploring on my own, but I like having a friend along to enjoy the experience.

A visit to this tree all started by seeing a photo of this cute little door on pinterest.

yew, tree, Crowhurst, Surrey, travel,

I had this idea that a 4,000 year old tree with a cute little door must get a fair amount of visitors.  It seems I was wrong.  There was no parking in the village of Crowhurst in Surrey.  We found a house with a large parking area labelled the old school house.  I hate disturbing people in their homes, but I was set on finding this tree!!  We knocked and the kind gentleman allowed us to park on his property to explore the tree located next to St. George's Church.

yew, tree, Crowhurst, Surrey, travel,

Thought to be 4,000 years old, it's possibly the oldest in the country.

yew, tree, Crowhurst, Surrey, travel,

Girth readings date back to 1630.  In 1820 the inside of the tree was hollowed out for shelter for the annual Palm Sunday Fayre.  When this was done a canon ball was found embedded in the tree, thought to be from the civil war, about 1652.

yew, tree, Crowhurst, Surrey, travel,    yew, tree, Crowhurst, Surrey, travel,    yew, tree, Crowhurst, Surrey, travel,

You can see a few planks holding up it's old branches.

yew, tree, Crowhurst, Surrey, travel,

yew, tree, Crowhurst, Surrey, travel,

Does anyone else see the large alien being in the middle, on the above photo?  No?

yew, tree, Crowhurst, Surrey, travel,

yew, tree, Crowhurst, Surrey, travel

Would you go in search of an ancient tree with a cute door?

-----

Each week Bonnie, Melanie and I choose a post from the previous week's link up.  It is so hard to choose from all your great posts!!
This week I am featuring Sarah from A Week at the Beach.

As a mom of 3, I love seeing moms take the time to get out and explore with and without their kids.  I think it is so important to have time alone, with your husband or with girlfriends!  Sarah blogs all about doing just that.

-----

Want to join in our Travel Tuesday link up?

HERE IS HOW IT WORKS:
1. SHARE a post about travel!  From road trips to trips abroad and from past travels to dream vacations. You can write about travel tips and tricks, favorite places to stay, or anything in between! Just make it about traveling somewhere!
2. GRAB the lovely button. If you run into trouble, just make sure to mention Bonnie, Melanie & Tina in a link! 
3. LINKUP goes live every Tuesday at 0800 GMT.

TIPS: 
1. Please only one linked up post per blogger. Save other posts for future linkups!
2. The last Tuesday of every month will be a themed prompt if you want to join in!
3. HOP around and meet new travel loving bloggers! Check back to visit some of the newer travel posts!

Travel Tuesday

32 comments:

  1. Wow, so much history surrounding just one tree. Although, I suppose that's not quite so surprising if you think that it's been there for 4,000 years! Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so amazing! I especially love the bit about the cannonball. when I was in Thailand we visited an old tree that had a buddha head in its roots - that tree was only a few hundred years old though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd totally track it down too! I love love love old trees, especially ones that have so much documented history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tree is so cool, I would definitely go on an adventure to track that door and tree down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes I'd totally go and find that tree; it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow this is so unique and amazing! I definitely would've checked it out too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That tree is fabulous. I'd definitely have to hunt it down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tree looks really amazing. I was in a wood once, where everything has been left the way it was for centuries (or even longer?!) and it looked exactly like this only that there were soo many of those trees. It really felt like being in the jungle ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally! Sometimes the most random places make the best memories!

    V @ Life+1
    New Post : Paris Memories

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would feel a little claustrophobic. Kudos to you for exploring your neighbourhood. I need to do the same sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this tree looks incredible! I think it's great that you asked for help to find it and that the man was kind enough to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How amazing. Love these pictures and YES I would go in search of a tree with a door :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I see the alien! What an incredible tree and I love all the history behind it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so neat! I love the history behind it. I had no idea it existed but now it'll go on my Travel Bucket list :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow--now that's a tree that's seen a lot of history!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is fascinating! And what's recorded is only part of the trees past. Who knows what else the tree has seen!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Me too. Must be one strong tree to hold up to a cannonball!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's mostly southeast England. Places I can easily get to in a day with a few other places. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me too! And a cute little door is an added bonus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Me too and ones with a cute little door and so much history make it that much more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It seemed kind of funny to be on the hunt for a tree! Definitely well worth it though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such an amazing tree! And a cute little door is a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You just never know what you're going to find when you knock at someone's door. Luckily it was all good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. In the tree? Yeah, I didn't stay in it long. Long enough to snap some photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a neat experience! I bet it was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'd definitely go in search of an ancient tree with door :) x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would definitely go along! This tree is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is one amazing tree! It is so cool that you found it on pinterest :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...