13 January 2011

Segovia, Spain

It's taken me some time to write this post due to the lose of such expense.  A 6 year old Nikon D80 camera and a 6 month old gps.  I'm slowly getting over it and moving past it.

A beautiful city with an amazing Roman aqueduct, a gorgeous castle and cathedral.  However, it is marred to me now.  It will forever be known as the place where we foolishly walked away leaving our camera and gps behind on a park bench.  This was the worst kind of thing that Jerry or I have ever done.

Jerry took off with Brennan, Papa & Karis to get Brennan a shield he had seen in a store.  He left the camera backpack with me on a bench.  I set it on the other side of Reegan (that was the mistake).  While sitting their Nana was getting crackers out for a snack.  When the others got back I was handing out snacks, stood up and walked left.  Reegan, with the camera bag behind her were to my right.  I didn't see it, therefore didn't remember it and neither did Jerry. Ugh, still makes me sick just thinking about it.  Especially when it was such an unbelievable mistake to make!  It was just a camera and gps!  But oh how that hits me in the gut to know the loss!

We got some pictures from Jerry's mom and several on our IPhone & ITouch, so here they are.   Not as good of quality, but pictures no less.  *Sigh*

Our day before the loss!


The aqueduct was build around 50 AD and is one of the greatest surviving and best preserved  monuments of Roman engineering.  I was amazed at how well preserved it is!  Amazing!  It was built with unmortared, granite rock kept together by metal hooks.  It is special in that it has been used almost without interruption from Roman times until about the 60s, 1960 that is! 


Look at the people at the base!  Gives you an idea of how massive this thing is!  Have I said it already?  Amazing!


We wound our way up through the streets to the Plaza Mayor (main square) where the cathedral is located.  Take a look at these streets!




Here is Brennan checking out the seafood on Plaza Mayor.


I saw this entryway and began to wonder the hop of activity that might have occurred at one time at this abandoned hotel.



 These pastries looked yummy and decided we would stop back by after going to the castle.  I was so excited, but the waiter ended up being a jerk and didn't want to wait on us, so we left.  But the window display was lovely!


Next we went inside the cathedral.  This building is massive!

 I mean no offense or disrespect, but I got a little laugh seeing this "phone" in a cathedral and wondered if this was the modern way of confession.  Hee hee!  It's actually an information box.  You pay a euro and can hear about the cathedral.




  I LOVE old antiquey kinds of things and loved, whatever this is, behind the kiddos.  I'd fill my house with stuff like that if I could!  I have a few things like an old US bank barrel (that I bought in Czech Republic, of all places) a small spinning wheel and an old wooden basket that are among my larger pieces and favorites.  I also have an old teddy bear, tin planter, and various coffee grinders.


It is a toss up which I like more.  The aqueduct or the Alcázar, Segovia's castle.  It is so beautiful!  Look at this place!


 The view from inside.



 It's dark from being taken on my ITouch, but one of the beds.


 Brennan & Reegan taking in the view!


 There was so much armor in this place.  The boys loved it!



Our Christmas break is officially over.  We're back to school and Nana & Papa have returned to Texas.  It's time to get in gear and back to studying Spanish!

4 comments:

  1. Ugghhhh!!! So sorry about your camera and gps. What a bummer! Love the family pic...can't believe how big the kids are getting!! Praying for you as you continue to settle and as you are about the things of God. I know He is using you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those places look absolutely beautiful! I thought I had had enough of travelling around Europe, but now I am starting to re-think that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and sorry about the camera. I can certainly undderstand how you still feel sick when you think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures came out really well! Hope you can pick up a new camera soon. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...