06 October 2010

Churros

I always loved grocery shopping!  That is until we lived in Russia & Czech Republic.  The stores are always crowded and the rows tight!  Then we enter into the world of shopping in Spain and let me just say "Ahhhhhhh!"  I LOVE shopping again!!  The rows are fairly wide (well, if you shop in the bigger stores, which is where I do my shopping) and the selections are great!  They are seriously lacking in breakfast choices, but we're learning to make do.  I've considered making some nice, healthy treats like homemade nutrigrain and granola bars, but time is seriously lacking for me right now with walking the kids to school, cleaning, shopping and the biggie right now...language learning.  Maybe one day I'll get to where I can spend time making more breakfast items, but it's going to have to wait for now.
Sorry, a little rabbit chasing there.  Ha!
What has been a real treat is the freezer section!!  So many choices of frozen foods for quick prep meals!!  I can't say I've bought a ton of stuff, but we have tried jalapeno poppers, chicken wings, chicken nuggets (a staple in our freezer), and most recently, churros!  Some of you may be familiar with this little treat.  It is a fried, sweet pastry and it is yummy.  Spaniards typically eat it with a thick chocolate sauce.  They dip the churro in and any left over chocolate is drunk like hot chocolate, although it's a lot thicker.  Maybe like fondue chocolate.  I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to!
I saw some churros in the freezer section and decided to give them a try.
I didn't have any chocolate sauce so I sprinkled them with cinnamon and sugar.  My first attempt wasn't so pretty.


They are suppose to be a nice tubular shape and not a bunch of crumbs!  I realized I should have used more oil.  The second batch was a lot better.


And there you have a nice little Spanish dessert!  And oh, was it yummy!!

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm, churros! I have a new recipe on my recipe blog for granola bars. They're really good and really easy: I think the most difficult part was chopping the nuts. Try them out...they're yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that, but Karis is allergic to nuts, so I'll have to find an alternative, unless I can just leave them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Churros...mmmmm. I need to look for these in the US!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm Churros are one off my favourite treats! Dipped in chocolate...you can't beat it. The problem is that you can only buy it in a few fancy cafes here and it is SO expensive. I would love to be able to make my own!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...