08 March 2013

Food Waste Recycling

I've always admired Europe's commitment to recycling.

The area of Texas we were just in had no recycling program and it about killed me to throw away plastics and paper!  I tried to keep the paper aside to recycle later, but we could never figure out a place to take our recycling.  We may not have searched very hard......

Prague, Madrid and Vienna have varied in how they recycle, but it has basically been paper, plastic and glass.  It's been easy and accessible to do in each place.  

Recycling has come to a whole new level for me!  
Now, add in food waste recycling!



The green bin (only about a third of the size of the other bins) is the outside bin.  It is collected once a week.


The gray bin is what you collect inside.  I was not aware of the nifty biodegradable bags the first week and was just tossing it in all together, plastic bags were not allowed.  Then a friend put me on the biodegradable bags and clean up was much easier.


Tea bags and coffee grounds are also recyclable.  Just no oils of any kind.

It seemed a bit icky at first and I was sure it would be stinky, but it actually has not been bad at all!

And it is quite an organized system.  The food waste recycle just started in the past few months in this area.  Quite a nifty brochure came out with instructions for what can go in each bin.


The other is the collection calendar, although it was for the end of the year.  I went online in search of a current calendar of when the waste is collected each week (the non-perishable items are collected on an every other week basis) and easily found it on their website.

Horsham doesn't have food waste recycling, so this is short lived, but I've enjoyed feeling as if I am doing my part in food waste recycle!

4 comments:

  1. Yep. It is frustrating that the only recycling we have here is the ever present Alaskan garbage pickers at the dump.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nowadays many cities have joined the compost movement. I'm glad to see there is commercial food waste recycling grand rapids mi going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These days this garbage and waste disposal issue is gaining attention because of increasing threat of pollution related health problems. To fight with thee problems recycling is the best way. Also it helps in conserving energy and resources. Companies like M50 Skip hire doing their work so that we together ca create a smarter and a better planet.

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...