29 March 2011

A Trip to the Spanish/English Theater

Last week Karis' teacher asked if I would go with the class to an English theater.  I said "Sure!" or however you say it Spanish.  Maybe I said "Vale!" (pronounced bah-lay) which is somewhat of an equivalent.

I found it a bit humorous.  "Let's ask the English speaking mom to the English theater."  I hardly speak a bit of Spanish and I am going to help corral a bunch of Spanish speaking kids?!  Heh heh! 

I was, however, happy to oblige and glad to be asked.

There wasn't much to it and Karis was quick to tell me that she would help me if need be.  There my child goes again, translating for her mom!

The teachers have a good system down of getting the kids to the bus and on the bus.

The play we were watching was called "Thingamiboo."  It was about 50/50 Spanish & English.  I caught the gist of what was being said in Spanish and I was paying close attention to their accents and English sentence structure.  I find it interesting to observe.  They did fairly well.  I heard a few mistakes, but common ones at that.

It was about a Spanish mouse that goes to Paradise Island, where English is spoken.  The mouse encounters a lizard, a crow and a leopard.  All who are trying to entice her with cheese so they can take her home to presumably eat her.  She gets smart and makes up a tale of a large purple and green "Thingamiboo" which will be meeting her at any moment.   Which scares them off.

Inevitably, she encounters a Thingamiboo and although he wants to eat her too she takes him on a journey to find the lizard, crow & leopard and is able to get that cheese out of them after they see the Thingamiboo.

I took some pictures and video, but due to the lighting they didn't turn out so great.  But I put a slideshow together with a bit of the sound.  Just excuse the poor quality, bad lighting, ITouch photos!  Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Too cute Tina! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds like such a fun time for the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun ... I remember seeing a Spanish play in Mexico City and how fun it was to find that I could follow along a little bit! :)

    Visiting from SITS :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like fun! You are brave to take on a parent helper role!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...