15 November 2010

Proyecto de brick de leche

Milk carton Project

I love how they call it a "brick" of milk in Spanish (although they also have the word "carton)!
We got a note sent home that the school will be having a "La fiesta del otoƱo,"  an autumn party on Friday of this week.  We were asked to make a milk carton into a type of basket and the kids could decorate it as they like.  They will use them to collect chestnuts.
Here are the milk boxes cut out and ready to be decorated!


I had to get my decorating juices flowing!  I like to be creative, but being crafty is not my strong suit.  I'd rather put my efforts into creating in the kitchen!  But, I wanted my kids to have a nice basket!  I thought it would be fun to decorate with cut out leaves.   My idea was to cover the whole thing with different colors and shapes of leaves, but Karis kind of nixed that.  A friend of hers had decorated with leaves already.
So I decided to cover the whole thing in construction paper and then glue cut out felt leaves.
Of course, later Karis told me her friend had decorated with real, dry leaves.  That's a bit different!
Anyway, I liked the felt leaf idea.
I kept wondering how I could cover the handles and decided to use some raffia.  I like how it turned out!!  Here is red for Reegan, black for Brennan & orange for Karis.


I found a template for Fall leaves on Martha Stewart's site to make a Fall leaf garland, which I'd love to make some time.  It was a perfect template for our proyecto!


 I must admit that my kids didn't help a whole lot with these.  They just wanted to scribble on the side of them and plaster them with stickers, so we compromised!

Karis stuck her stickers on the inside.  I made let Brennan decorate 3 sides with stickers and one side with a leaf.  I thought Reegan was going to do stickers on the inside only, but she went at it when I wasn't looking.  I'm trying to let go of my perfectionism and let my kids be kids!  Ha!  It is not always easy!



There are some more activities that will go on with this fiesta, so we're looking forward to that!
Can you believe that Thanksgiving is next week?!!  Wow!

4 comments:

  1. Well, they do feel like bricks if you have to carry a bag containing a few of them! Super cute proyecto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are adorable!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your perfectionism line is something I could have written. I so relate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very impressed! I hope my crafty gene (which has been noticeably absent for the last 30 years) spontaneously appears once my kids reach school. Otherwise, my kids will be taking plain milk cartons with leaves just stuffed inside for their project! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...