18 November 2010

Membrillo

I spent a couple of hours yesterday at my neighbor's home.  She's been a great neighbor!! Helping me in times of need and giving me a look into Spanish culture.  And we've had some fun chats!

We were talking in her kitchen waiting for the coffee to brew when I looked over and saw something interesting on her counter, so I thought I'd ask what it was.  They call it membrillo.  They explained the process of cooking it down with water and sugar and it turns into a kind of hmmmm, well, it's hard to explain so take a look instead.


A jelly?  A paste?
It's thick enough to slice, normally.  They said this batch wasn't stirred properly and it was too soft, but the flavor was the same.   It is usually eaten with a sheeps milk cheese.
They didn't know the English word for membrillo.  We looked it up later and learned that it is called quince.  Still, I had no idea what that was.  I looked it up online thinking maybe it wasn't the American-English translation.  Sure enough it is, but it's not something we normally eat.  It looks like a cross between an apple and a pear.  You cannot eat it raw as it's really hard.


As for the flavor, well, it's ok.  My tutor and I discussed it today and she insisted that you must eat it with cheese.  I can't say that I'm a big fan of fruit and cheese together, but if that's your thing then give it a try!
I even found a recipe at Simply Recipes.  And there you have membrillo!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh! We have membrillos in Mexico, too! :) So delicious. I make something very similar to apple butter with them. Great on toast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! We have those here! But I had no idea what they were. Hmm...maybe I'll have to try one. After you try it first and tell me if it's any good with cheese or not, of course. :-)

    And I love your header. Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...