21 October 2010

I'm Not a Pumpkin Bread Mom!

*Cough, wheeze, ahh-choo*
I can be a little crazy at times!!  You may say “Sometimes?!”  Ha!  Well, I, along with Brennan & Reegan, have been sick with some kind of cold.  I guess we are having to get use to them being in school and exposed to Spain’s strain of viruses.  So what do I decide to do on a sicky day?  Bake some pumpkin bread, of course!

I blame it on the pumpkin spice creamer that I put in my coffee each morning.  I got a nice whiff of pumpkin spice and could not resist making some bread.  I tried not to breath, sneeze or cough while making said bread.  Oh well, even if I did, any germs will be killed in the baking process, right?!  Ha!!

However, in recent years I've not been doing so well in the sweet bread department.  I had decided that I would just stick to muffins, but today I decided to try my hand at bread again.  I have this problem of it getting too done on the outside, becoming dry.  Then kinda gooey on the inside.  I sometimes cover the loaves with foil to keep the tops from browning too fast, but it's still a bit dry on the outside.  What am I doing wrong??  Could it be the glass bread pans I'm using??

 Sometimes I use baking paper, but it is hard to get all the crinkles and bumps out of the paper, leaving the edges of the bread bumpy.  So this time I greased the pan.  

It tastes pretty good, but I can't say that it's my favorite.  One of my pet peeves about pumpkin bread is so many of them call for oil.  I don't like the fact that it leaves a big oil mark behind.  So I tend to look for recipes using butter.  Maybe that's the problem.  However, the picture on the website where I got the recipe looks like this, using butter.
It's so pretty and looks so moist and baked just right.  Now why can't I do that?!
I can make muffins, cakes and cookies just fine!  So what's wrong with me?!
Any sweet bread tips out there for me?!
So, I do not seem to be a sweet bread making mama!  Oh well!

4 comments:

  1. I have the same problem with banana bread. I bought silicon mini loaf pans (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VQ8EF6/ref=asc_df_B000VQ8EF61289025?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-838-95-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B000VQ8EF6) to solve my problem. Smaller loaf = less cooking time = so the inside gets done when the outside is golden brown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. www.thesouthasiayears.comOctober 21, 2010 at 8:39 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. Try greasing and flouring your pans before pouring the batter into them. And also try letting them cool for longer before dumping them out.

    My pumpkin bread recipe is really good...it calls for oil, but only 1/2 cup for 2 loaves. Don't give up! Pumpkin bread is SO worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glass heats and transfers quicker, so your bread browns faster and crispier on the outside edges. Assuming you've greased and floured, not filled the pan too much, then try preheating your oven to 25 degrees less than the recipe calls for but bake the bread for as long as the recipe says to. I have a pumpkin bread recipe on the blog, too, and it calls for oil.

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...