14 March 2014

Expat Perspective

Expat Perspective, expat life, travel, living abroad

I've been asked by the people of HiFX to share some expat tips and experiences.  If you'd like to see what other expats are sharing, take a look at their site.


Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.  - Mark Twain, Innocence Abroad

  Perspective is a word I've thought a lot about in recent years of our expat journey.  Having lived in 5 different countries and interacted with expats from many different backgrounds and cultures, it's been fascinating to see how expats and expat communities vary from one country to the next.  The impact a culture, it's people, its traditions has on someone can influence the expat experience.  Where one comes from, likes and dislikes, if one has lived abroad before or if it's their first experience all have an impact.  How we approach expat life varies so much from one person to the next.

Flag Day, Russia
Russia, flag day

We've known expats who've gone to every possible length to be like a national in their host country.   They only bought local foods, only spent time with nationals, only wore clothes they bought locally and only spoke the host language.
 We've known others to shop only at import stores, purchased their clothing in their home country and never learned the language of their host country.  Is either one right or wrong?


Streets of Prague
Prague, Charles Bridge Tower, Czech Republic


Early on in our expat journey I felt guilty about some of the things I did or didn't do.  We were living in Russia and it was a difficult place for me to live.  It was a struggle at times that maybe I wasn't living my expat life to the fullest.


El Gordo Spiderman, Plaza Mayor, Madrid, Spain
El Gordo Spiderman, Plaza Mayor, Spain, Madrid

Then I overheard a seasoned expat of over 25 years say "You know, I don't really like my host country, but I know it's where I'm suppose to be."  I knew her and I saw how she lived her life. It wasn't always easy, but she made friends, she ate local foods, and she learned the language.  However, she still retained her American traditions.  

Gloriette at Schonbrunn Palace, Vienna, Austria Gloriette, Schonbrunn Palace, Vienna, Austria, palace

She helped me let go of my guilt.  Culture shock and adjustment can be a crazy, frustrating time, but it's all part of the process.  In time I was speaking a new language, I bought a big, warm Russian coat, I shopped at the import store, I made Russian friends, I made expat friends, I bought eggs from a local market, I learned how to make local dishes, I made Tex-Mex often,
 and I was sharing my American traditions and foods with nationals who were interested in my culture as well.

Everyone is going to go about their expat life in their own way. 
The important thing to remember is to make the most of it and to not see our expat experience as superior to others.  


England
IMG_4352

Balance is the key.  Do we need to step out of our comfort zone and try new things, new foods, new traditions?  Absolutely yes!!  Should we still celebrate our national holidays, traditions and eat our comfort foods?  Yes!!

If you're an expat are you enjoying your journey?  Do you find balance in your expat life?

This post was written for HiFX as they share expat tips and experiences for others moving abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...