27 November 2012

Going North of Anchorage

I've been a slacker at blogging lately.  Being in the USofA has kept me busy!

I need to finish up my Alaska posts, so here goes!

In the 60s my parents decided to try their hand at homesteading.  My parents moved back to Anchorage before I was born, so I always knew the homestead as my grandparents home.  I have fond memories of tromping through the woods and picking strawberries from the big strawberry patch on the property.

My parents owned the property until the late 80s.


While homesteading, my parents were asked to consider starting a mission church in the area and Montana Creek Baptist Church was born.  It was a mission church for a long time and was supported by our home church in Anchorage, Grandview Baptist.  While I was growing up we would drive up on Sunday afternoons to have a service in the evening.  At the time it was only heated by a wood burning stove.  It was might chilly in there until the stove got good and hot!

Family & Friends Alaska 9




After walking around the church we stopped at another nearby church where my grandparents are buried.

Family & Friends Alaska 10

Family & Friends Alaska 11

We also stopped by my old highschool (which was a jr/sr high and is now just the junior high),



our house on Big Lake (the back of it anyway),



and a stop at the creek that runs out of the lake to see the salmon.  I'm so glad we got to see some reds!



We also saw the Little Susitna River,



Hatcher's Pass, from a distance.  It use to be an old mining town.




 Saw the palace of all beaver dams!  Ha!


And headed home in hopes of seeing a moose!


I've still got so much more to share of Alaska!

I'll be back soon with more!


1 comment:

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...