12 December 2011

The Weekend

Vienna houses one of the headquarters for the United Nations.  An annual event that the UN puts on is a bazaar.  There are booths of food and goods from around the world.  In our group that we went with we had food from Greece, Thailand, India and Indonesia!  And I guess we have to count the Oreos we picked up at the USA booth!
The place was PACKED.  This picture was towards the end of the day, so it doesn't look too bad.

I was thinking we were crazy for bringing the kids!!!  But we made it through.  It was a fun experience, but I'm not sure I will do it again.  I learned a trick though.  Go late in the day because they start marking things down.  I got a variety of spices.  Cardamom I haven't seen here, and I got them drastically marked down.
Sunday we headed back out on the town.  First stop was for some lunch!  We decided to go Mexican.  Yes, Mexican.  We were craving it!
On the way to the restaurant we went by the Prater, an amusement park in Vienna which houses one of the oldest ferris wheels.  It's hard to tell but there are little red cabins all the way around.  You can actually arrange to have dinner in one!

We haven't taken a ride yet, but we plan to!
We headed to lunch after a walk around Prater.  I decided to avoid the exotic corn fungus and mole! Ha! 

Love this photo, minus the fuzzy IPhone quality.
I wanted to go to Schonbrunn and check out their Christmas market.  It was so busy!!  I made the kids hold hands so we wouldn't lose each other!  I've now learned to avoid Christmas markets on the weekend and go during the week when people are working!
 So we escaped the congested crowds and headed towards the gardens.  Schonbrunn's gardens are in close running to Versailles' in Paris.
 Now, that's a fountain!
 Family picture takin' time!

This is a fav!


Our friends, David & Amy

 The structure at the top of the hill is called the Gloriette.  Isn't it beautiful?!  Although it's not visible, the Schonbrunn (Vienna) Zoo is tucked in the bottom right corner of the picture.  We haven't had a chance to visit yet.  Did you know it's the world's oldest zoo, founded in 1752?!





I think I've got the cutest kids!!


 Look at that view!!  From halfway up to the Gloriette.

 The sun started setting and we got some beautiful pictures!

 Even with a bit of moon peeking through!

 Waiting for the u-bahn to come.  We were exhausted!!
 There is so much more we want to do at Schonbrunn.  There is a children's museum where kids can dress up in period costumes.....the zoo.....the palace itself.  So far this is my favorite spot in Vienna and I hope to get back there many more times.  And soon!

1 comment:

  1. These are great pictures! I love Schönbrunn as well! Looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...