10 May 2010

Mother's Day at a Cermic Market in Beroun

A couple of weeks ago I had to ask a fellow colleague when Mother's Day was because I wasn't sure.  It is not a widely celebrated holiday here, although known. 
Twice a year in a little village outside of Prague, called Beroun, is a ceramic market set up in the town square.  Once in October and once in May.  We already had plans on Saturday and since church is in the evening for us we decided to make a Sunday morning of it.  This will be the last one I get to go to with our upcoming move.  I was (still am) under the weather, but I had to go!!  I realized it was on Mother's Day, but I thought "What better way to spend the day.  A girl's day out!"  So, my friend Julie & I hopped on a morning train for Beroun and arrived around 9:30 to do some shopping.
Our first stop was the ladies room at the Beroun train station.  Hee hee!  Usually I wouldn't mention it, but as we stood there waiting our turn (you know how ladies' rooms are....even in another country!) I began to giggle when I saw this.


 

Ok, I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but they are selling gifts and clothing out of the restrooms!!!  I guess if they are going to have a cash register in the restroom (in many places in Europe you must pay to use the facilities) then why not?!  Cracked us up!!
On to the square and a pretty one at that!




Here is Julie doing a little shopping action! 



We browsed the ceramics, but there were several jewelry kiosks and we stopped at every one of them.  All but one were handmade jewelry, which we both love!

We had Bramborak (a potato pancake) and ham sandwich.  I have no idea what this thing was called and actually, I didn't care for it at all.  I usually like potato pancakes, but sometimes a tad too much garlic (ok WAY too much!) is added for my taste.  I had to followed it up with something more tasty, my favorite Czech pastry, the trdlo.  Yum!!

Julie had seen some necklaces she really liked and after perusing the market she wanted to go back to take a second look.  They were necklaces made out of recycled glass.  Taking a second look I decided I REALLY liked these necklaces and needed wanted one.
It took both of us several minutes to decide exactly which one we wanted.  We kept finding more and more we liked!!  I finally settled on this necklace with matching earrings.


 I love the name of the product, Lucky Waste.  We had a great chat with the owner/vendor.  She was great!  And she even gave us some other colored necklace strands to change out the colors.  One thing that you are unable to see in the picture is there's white writing in the glass.  It looks so cool!
 Julie & I had a great day together!


3 comments:

  1. I love that necklace! I have been getting into that type of neclace lately. It's a great way to make a plain top look more stylish. And being able to change the strings is a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never seen the shop in the bathroom! I always wonder, though, who really buys the *ahem* undergarments in the metro?!!? What a fun outing! Pretty necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the necklace! Wish I could just take the train over and go shopping with you!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...