22 May 2015

Anne Hathaway's Cottage

While Jerry's parents were here during Christmas, we took a little road trip to see the Cotswolds.

Just outside of Stratford-upon-Avon in Shottery, Warwickshire lies the breath-taking, childhood home of Anne Hathaway, the wife of William Shakespeare.

Anne Hathaway's Cottage
Through photos I had seen of this cottage, I fell in love with this place and was determined to see it!

The Shakespeare Birthplace Trust offers various ticket options to allow you to visit all or just a few of the Shakespeare's family houses and the tickets give you access for one year.  We'll definitely be going back to take advantage of that since we didn't get to see everything.

Seeing the grounds on a frosty morning added to the beauty of this place.

_C290330

Thatched cottages are so appealing to me.  So quintessentially English and lovely and charming.  Anne's family cottage has been described as the most romantic in England.

IMG_0703

The first parts of the house were build before the 15th century.

During Shakespeare's time, the house was named Newlands Farm and had more than 90 acres attached to it.


 The dining room.


Fresh bread served right by the table.


The kitchen is down the hall.


Many of the furnishings are from the family.

To keep critters and dirt from dropping on your head while you sleep, the beds have testers (canopy) over the bed.

_C290314

Back then there were no ceilings.  It was open, exposing the straw.
Can you imagine insects, mouse droppings or straw falling on you in the night?!  Oh, the horror!!

This is known as Shakespeare's Courting Chair.


The grounds are just as lovely.





Next time I'll share with you some of the other homes we visited that are part of the trust.

Happy Weekend!


7 comments:

  1. A friend of mine just got back from the Cotswolds and while she was there she Instagrammed a photo saying they had just seen Anne Hathaway's cottage. Silly me - I thought she was talking about the actress! :) Ha! Pretty place though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I heard it, I thought the same thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it's just beautiful! I love the style and the roofs, I bet it was so fun to explore!

    www.hollandsreverie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shots! We went in summer and just LOVED it there. I love Stratford - your pics brought back some happy memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that :-). But it looks so lovely. Would love to visit it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, so lovely!! I have been wanting to see this lovely home for years . . . this is the next best thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Tina,


    My name is Joe Pinzone and I'm casting an international
    travel show about expats moving abroad. We'd love to film in Austria and wanted
    to know if you could help us find expats who have moved there within the last
    15 months or have been there for 3-4 years, but recently moved into a new home.
    The show documents their move to a new country and will place the country in
    fabulous light. The contributors on the show would also receive monetary
    compensation if they are filmed. If you'd like more information, please
    give me a call at 212-231-7716 or skype me at joefromnyc. You can also email me
    at joepinzone@leopardusa.com.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.



    Joe Pinzone

    Casting Producer

    P: 212-231-7716

    Skype: Joefromnyc

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...