26 September 2014

What We're Up To: #1

Hi All!

I've decided to join Kate's link up, Daily Diaries, to give a glimpse of what our week to week looks like.

So let's get started!!

These ladies we are calling our American-Russian refugees!  


They are American student volunteers working in Russia and teaching English.  It's a fun part of working for a charity.  We meets lots of amazing people working in various places around the world.  They had visa problems and camped out in England while they waited for new visas. 

We did a bit of sightseeing while they were here.
I love this shot of the 3 of them at the viaduct!

girls on viaduct

They were staying in a colleague's house, but we had them over for dinner most nights.  My kids loved having them here!



Some messing with the cat might have been involved!

 
The downside of having guests is having to say "goodbye!"  We miss them already!

The remembrance of the 100 year anniversary of WWI has been widespread in the UK.  Just look at the installment at the Tower of London!

Tower of London Poppie Installment


Check out a post from Mandy who blogs at Emm in London about the poppy installment.  She gives a lot of great information about it.

Beefeater with poppies, Tower of London

  The kids have been learning different aspects of the war.  One of them are recipes made during that time.  For a class project Karis wanted to make one of the recipes.  She chose donuts!



If it weren't for the time, mess and calories we might make them more often!


That's the highlights, I'd say.  You don't need to know all the details of my sweating through Taebo and hours of dish washing (that's me roughing it in England.....no dishwasher!)

I'm excited for the weekend.  I'll be attending another great London Bloggers Tea!!  Can't wait to tell you all about it!!

Happy Weekend!!

18 comments:

  1. Those donuts look seriously amazing! They turned out so well and bet these were delicious (and probably worth the calories!) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those doughnuts!! Oh man...I haven't had anything sweet for two weeks, now I'm salivating! {I'm sure I'll make up for my good streak this weekend at the tea...}


    I really loved this glimpse into your daily life! Once I'm all caught up on our trips...which will be, like, February, I'd like to start doing more of this, too. It's fun seeing what everyone else does day-to-day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to attempt donuts, but if i get good at them it might be dangerous! See you sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those donuts look so good! Where did you find the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I even messed up the recipe a bit and didn't add enough flour. We got it added in with the kneading. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to do that to you! ;) I love writing about travel and excursion, but I need to get back to doing this every once in awhile. I'd love to see you doing this too. It is fun to catch a glimpse into each others day to day lives! Yay, see you Sunday! Been too long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your doughnuts look a helluva lot better than the ones on GBBO this week! Yum!!
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter found the recipe on a war archives site, I have no idea how! Here's the link: http://www.gwpda.org/memoir/WWI_doughnuts.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I take that as quite a compliment! Thank you!! ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! I love how it turned out!
    I could ship some to you, but I doubt they'd be very fresh! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ummm, those donuts are making my tummy grumble!! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Visiting from the Daily Diaries Link-up! Mmmm, donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That photo from the viaduct is so cool! It makes me want to go there for photo purposes! :P Looks like a "tasty" week, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you! Love the viaduct for photographing! It's just so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi friend! I caught up on your blog on my way home from England on the train but I cannot seem to comment on Disqus from my phone (ergh), so I needed to come back and at least say real quick how much I love catching up and I'm OBSESSED with these poppies. I must get back to London before they disappear. Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey!! I can't comment on Disqus on any other device either. I haven't tried it since the new update, although I won't be able to update my ancient IPhone 4s! ;) I thought about it when I was looking at blogs on my IPad though. ;)
    Come before November 11. You always have a place you could stay! ;) We need a good catch up!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...