01 May 2014

How to Move Multiple Times and Do it Well

I was contacted by giffgaff to take part in their International Campaign to share about our hometown.  I could talk all day about my home state of Alaska, but due to our background of moving to multiple countries I was asked to share about that.  Because I don't want to leave my home state out, feel free to take a look at my Alaska posts giving all kinds of sights to see and restaurant recommendations.

Alaskan Landscapes 4

Living in different countries was never our plan.  Due to a reorg in our company, trying out a new team structure, twice, and then a job change propelled our moves.

To give a little back story, we moved to Russia in October 1999.  We made one move before our kids came along. That was Russia to Prague, Czech Republic.  Our kids have gone through 6 moves (this includes 7-16 month stints in the US as well) and currently living in their 7th home at the ages of 9 and almost 8. Their journey goes like this:

Born in Czech Republic 
Went to the US for a year and stayed for 16 months due to our oldest daughter's paperwork to become a US citizen.
Back to Prague for 14 months
Moved to Madrid, Spain, stayed 14 months
Moved to Vienna, Austria, spent 12 months
Back to the US for 7 months
Moved to England where we're currently located with no plans on moving.

People ask me all the time how we do it.  How do we move so much and with kids?!
Honestly, I have no idea how to answer that.  You just do it!  Everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another.  Sure, it comes with some stress for us as the parents and for our kids.  We just do our best to make it as easy and fun as possible.

Having a nomadic spirit makes it much easier.  We love the adventure of something new.  
We're fortunate that our employer hires a moving company to move us.  That makes a world of difference!  And usually we have colleagues in our new location to help us get settled, get us some essential groceries those first few days and make us dinner to welcome us.  It's such a big help!
Oh, and did I mention, we enjoy a new adventure?!  Yes, I think I did!

Here are a few tips for anyone moving abroad for the first time or multiple times.

 Settle into your new home and culture as quickly as you can.

Get out and explore.  There is no better way to learn about your host culture than hanging with the locals.


Learn the language. Some places you can get by knowing a little and some places you need to know more to function in every day life.  Learning the language was the most difficult part for me.  I was not a good language student. Actually I was horrible at it.  If you stick with it and do what you can, it will go a long way.


Try the local foods.  In some places the food may be vastly different than what you are use to.  Usually you can find something you will like.


 Every move has broadened our world view, our knowledge of cultures and history, we've learned new languages and we've gotten to see some amazing places and met incredible people!!  I wouldn't change it for anything!

What expat tips would you add to the list?  Have you moved around a lot or does the thought of it make your head spin?


12 comments:

  1. All of your moves make my head spin a little! You are definitely a nomad at heart! From my moves, domestic and international, I would say settling in to the local culture quickly is key. Whether it is a local church, volunteering, or a job, becoming a "local" really helps make you feel like you are part of the community.


    I guess I am also a little nomadic too, although most of my moves were within Texas. I have never lived in any house longer than 5 years, and my kids are on their 4th house in 11 years. I am hoping we will stay in our next house a long time, or at least keep it and rent it out. It will be nice to have a "home base."

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I know is AK wasn't on my "list"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine moving that much, but then I think about it and I've moved a lot too! Its pretty draining, but really exciting when you can finally buy nice things like a tv and a bookshelf haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want it enough, you can handle just about anything! Wading through the stress and logistics of a move is infinitely easier if you can focus on the good that'll come after it! You guys are living my dream! :) I'd love to keep moving every 1-2 years! I'm quite glad you've decided to settle for awhile though - I'd miss you too much if you left! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! All great hints. And for all those that think it's more difficult with kids I would think it's easier...they adjust to things so much quicker than most adults.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great tips. Also it's so wonderful that there are people to connect with (LIKE YOU) on the internet who have done it and can give advice/encouragement to those who are newer at it. :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe we've done it, but it's come to a point where it almost feels normal to us! It is draining and exciting all wrapped up together!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true! I'm always excited for what's to come! We don't plan on going anywhere soon. You'll probably leave before I do! =( In 4 years we will have to leave for a year due to visas and social security totalization and may spend some, but not all in the US. Kind of fun to think where we could end up for that time. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, you're sweet!! I love the connection too, my friend! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is exciting! If we've moved before you, you can join us in whatever country we're calling home at the time! :) I'm hoping for SE Asia next!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...