07 March 2014

Henna Storying

Did you know the art of henna has been practiced for over 5000 years?  Some documentations show it may have been around about 9000 years ago!
This site I found talks about how henna was originally used for it's cooling properties.  People in desert regions would soak their hands and feet to get a cooling affect.  They found that it would leave patterns on their skin, which led to the idea to painting designs on the skin.

Henna Storying, henna, Bible

We recently got together with some friends who use to live in India.  Their teenage daughter learned how to do henna designs and brought it along thinking my girls might like to have it done.  They were all for it!

She had a book of all kinds of designs (that are also available online here).  Not just any designs though, these were designs based on Bible Stories.

Henna Storying, henna, Bible, woman at Jesus' feet

Reegan choose the design of the story of the woman who poured perfume and wept at Jesus' feet.

Henna Storying, henna, Bible, woman at Jesus' feet

Karis chose the Peace in Forgiveness, based on Mark 2:1-2 and Luke 5:17-26.
Jesus was in a crowded house teaching when four men lowered their paralyzed friend through the roof to get to Jesus.  Jesus saw their belief in Him and forgave their sins and told the man to pick up his mat and walk.
Henna Storying, Bible story, paralyzed man in Bible
I forgot to get a close up of Karis' hand.  The hearts on the hand represent the people, The pattern across the middle of hand represents the roof, the swirl on the side with a cross in the middle represents peace, the mat is the pattern at the base of the hand.

Henna Storying, Bible story, paralyzed man in Bible

I couldn't be left out!  I wanted one too!

Henna Storying, Bible Story, henna, Prodigal Son

The story of the prodigal son.

Henna Storying, Bible Story, henna, Prodigal Son

Our friend left us with some henna and Brennan was feeling left out, so  I gave him a more masculine design.

henna, cross

henna, the cross

This was the first time I've had a henna tattoo.  I've always wanted one and have considered getting one when traveling.

What I love about this is I can be wearing and sharing a piece of the Bible.  I could get a real tattoo and forever have a piece on me, but I don't like needles, so that's not happening!  This is the next best thing!!

Do you like henna tattoos?

Have a great weekend everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...