28 January 2014

Road Trip: Ireland Ruins, Castles and The Burren

This will be my last post about our trip through County Clare, Ireland.  I hope you've enjoyed coming along with us.  It was such a great trip!  You can see my previous posts here if you haven't already.

I know not everyone feels comfortable driving on the other side of the road (whether you drive on the left or right).  It was one of my biggest fears moving to England.  It's nice to have conquered that and now I feel quite comfortable driving on the left.  Not so sure about going back to the right!!  My brain will be so confused!

On our first trip to Ireland in 2005 we walked, took public buses and occasionally had a ride from our Bed & Breakfast hosts who also ran a taxi service from their home.  We enjoyed walking next to fields of cows and along the edge of the Cliffs of Moher.  This time around we brought our car and we got to see a lot more.  Both were great experiences!

All that to say, I can't recommend enough taking a road trip through Ireland!  We loved getting off the beaten path to stop at random spots.

One day we went down a road like this.....



.....just so we could see this!

_A300302

Ireland is full of some amazing ruins!

cemetary & church ruins, Ireland

IMG_3936


IMG_3928

IMG_3458

IMG_3455

I love this shot of my father-in-law chatting with a local man who came to visit his sister's grave.

IMG_3467

Untitled

IMG_3937

The ruins alone are quite impressive, but then there are the castles!  Oh my!!

Doonagore Castle sits above the town of Doolin.  Currently, it is a private holiday home.  What a view!

Doonagore Castle, Doolin, Ireland

We had to stop and take a look at the impressive Bunratty Castle.  We didn't have time to go through it, but it looks amazing!

IMG_4002

The Burren, a karst topography (eroding bedrock) is one of the largest in Europe at 96 square miles.

_A270112

IMG_3313

I loved watching my kids watch the waves while dad snaps photos.

IMG_3314

That wraps up our Ireland trip.  Hope you've enjoyed the tour!

Linking up with Bonnie!

A Compass Rose

4 comments:

  1. Hey Tina! Quick question for you - we want to see the Burren while we're in Ireland next week. We want to see some of it inland, but I'd also like to see the part where you're at where it looks like the Burren meets the coast. How did you get to this area? Where exactly is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last three pictures are in Doolin. Aren't you staying in Doolin? The town is easily walkable, so anywhere you are, if staying there, it would be easy to walk to. :) When do you leave? Soon isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then which of your pictures are from the Burren?! I got confused and thought the last ones were the Burren!


    Yes, we are staying in Doolin! We leave on Sunday which is funny since I've been thinking for a month that we're leaving on Saturday. Just realized yesterday I had written it down wrong in my planner. I have been so scatterbrained this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The burren spreads across about 300 km. When I looked at a map, Doolin is in the middle of the area on the coast. So it's the burren, just the part in Doolin.

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...