21 January 2014

Back in Time - Bryansk, Russia


I'm finally moving along in my "Back in Time" series.  You can see my previous posts here.  

In January 2001 we packed up our belongings and moved from Moscow to the town of Bryansk(Брянск).

Bryansk sits in the west corner of Russia on the borders of Ukraine and Belarus.


It is the halfway mark between Kiev and Moscow on the train route.  Russian trains in 2001 left much to be desired, maybe they still do!  Train tickets were fairly inexpensive compared to other parts of Europe and any time I traveled with Jerry between Moscow and Bryansk, we would take an over night train and ride first class.  In first class there are only 2 beds per coupe. Standard class was 4.  We felt it gave us a degree of safety and comfort to travel this way and it really was that much cleaner and more comfortable.  I am such a light sleeper that I never slept any way.
Sorry for the blur, remember, early days of digital cameras.
Let me take you on a little tour around town.  I don't remember what everything is.  At least you can get an idea of what it was like living in Russia, outside of a main city. 


Below, the univermag, a large market place.












Snezhka River


Those photos look like they're out of the 1970s!

Here we are with Lenin.


Our favorite cafe, below, with some American friends that came for a visit.


Oh how we looked so young and skinny!


I think back and wish I'd taken pictures of things like sides of beef hanging in an open air market with no refrigeration and flies buzzing all around, grocery stores where carts did not exist and shopping consisted of paying first, then taking your receipt to pick up your purchases at the specific counter (dairy counter, meat counter, fruit/veg counter, etc.), and buses moving around horses in the road because they roam free.

Next I'll be sharing with you where we lived in Bryansk.  You won't want to miss it!  It will give you a good dose of Russian living!

I'm linking up with Bonnie again for another Travel Tuesday.
A Compass Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...