20 November 2013

There'll Be Days Like This


Normally, I'm fairly positive on my blog.  I don't want to use this space to gripe, whine and complain, but sometimes writing it out helps sooth my soul a bit.  I also think it's important to share the sides of expat life that aren't always so fun and rosy.

The holidays are upon us and I'm getting a teensy weensy bit homesick.  Sigh!  It happens!  Have I been at this so long that it shouldn't phase me?  Maybe, but it does.  I've just learned that I might be in a funk for a few weeks days and then I'm fine.  Add to the fact that we were home just last year and enjoyed being among friends and family and the many church activities that go on this time of year!
I've just had another element added that isn't helping the situation.  At the end of the school year last year, the parents were informed that the UK has established a rule that taking your children out of school, that did not fall into a certain category, will be marked with an unauthorized absence.  It's to prevent parents from taking there kids out of school to go on vacation.  American Thanksgiving is not something that falls into an authorized category.  I could even possibly be fined! 
Now, I'm all for being a part of the culture we're in but I am not going to give up on traditions and holidays that we hold dear.  It's important to me for my kids to participate in American holidays.  
It's true that we could celebrate on the following weekend or some such thing.  But it is not the same!  And it bothers me that the powers that be are being so strong on this point and not giving much leniency at all.  It's MY children, but their written rules even say that we have no rights about this, even if they are my children. What?!
I'm not whisking them off on vacation to Spain.  I'm simply asking for one day off where they can celebrate a holiday that is very near and dear to my heart and part of teaching my kids about being American.
Some of you may think I'm making a big deal out of nothing.  Maybe so.  But it's something I'm willing to fight for.  Don't we all have things worth fighting for?
I'm waiting for approval (or not) from the head teacher (principal). We'll see what happens.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...