15 October 2013

Back in Time: St. Petersburg & Suzdal

BackinTimebutton

I'm back with another installment of my new series, Back in Time, featuring the places we lived and visited in our early years of moving abroad.  If you missed the first one, you can find it here.  Please remember that my photos are about 13 years old and our digital camera held about, oh, 15 pictures!  Hopefully you will still enjoy what you see.


We had a chance to visit Saint Petersburg on two short trips while living in Moscow.  I wish we could say we saw different things on each trip. However, we were traveling with different people, so we mostly saw the same things.

Saint Petersburg is a great place to visit if you are wanting to experience the touristy side of Russia with a hint of the culture.

If you ever have a chance to visit you must take a stroll around the Hermitage and don't miss the inside!  




I'm not so interested in walking through a museum full of art.  It just doesn't capture my attention for long.  If I get to view things such as ornate carriages,  


and opulent rooms of a winter palace then I enjoy taking it all in!


The photo below is to commemorate the time, 2:10 am, early in the morning on 26 October 1917 when the ministers of the Provisional Government were arrested in the Small Dining-Room of the Winter Palace (you can also see the clock in the photo above on the mantel). 


Can you imagine living here??


The rest of our time we explored by foot.


The Church of Our Savior on the Spilled Blood.


One of the many water ways of St. Pete (as we lovingly call it).



Kazan Cathedral





To see an extensive view of Saint Petersburg, Russia check out Selena's recent visit to this beautiful city!  Her pictures are amazing!  Much better quality than our photos from 2000!

Another day trip we took outside of Moscow is to the village of Suzdal, one of the villages that makes up the Ð—олото́е кольцо́, or Golden Ring.  The Golden Ring is a ring of towns northeast of Moscow.  These ancient towns played a role in the formation of the Russian Orthodox Church.  Suzdal is known as the Pearl of the Russian Golden Ring and is now a UNESCO world heritage site.  There is so much rich history in this area and definitely worth a look if you go to Russia.

Suzdal's Kremlin is the oldest part of the town, dating back to the 10th century.

Ancient Orthodox Site copy

Church in Suzdal copy

monasterybelltower copy

Monasterygrds8 copy

towerview1 copy

I wish I had more pictures of these wooden structures in Suzdal.

Wooden Orthodox Church copy

I believe this is the view of the interior of the wooden church, but I'm not certain.  Sorry for the blur, but I still wanted to give you a peek inside.

woodenchurch3 copy

View of town.

suzdalpan3 copy

Homes around Suzdal.  Spot the chickens?

house copy

rooster

Hope you enjoyed my trip down memory lane to St. Pete and Suzdal.

Have you even been to Russia?  Do you have any desire to visit?

I'm also linking up with Bonnie for Travel Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...