28 July 2013

Around West Sussex

A mom that I met at school lived in Maryland for 13 years.  Her kids were born there, so their kids have dual citizenship.  They loved living in America and miss it a lot, but they felt they needed to return to England to be near family.
We have some great and funny conversations about language, life in England as an American and life in America as English.
We dropped the kids off at school and were on a mission to find antique shops and other cute shops with places to stop for tea and coffee.
We were led astray a bit and did not find what we were searching for, but we drove through some quaint towns and my friend showed me some local hotels where we can enjoy cream tea (in America we might know this as having afternoon tea, complete with small sandwiches and desserts).
The first quaint town we found ourselves in was Lindfield.  

 A sweet little town with a quaint pond at the end of the main street.


We looked in the few shops they had.

I loved this door with a big key!


Beautiful stuff!!

We then decided we needed a morning tea break.  Often times these cute little shops will have a small seating area for tea, coffee and cakes.  Sometimes lunch items as well.


We did a bit more driving around and stopped in Cuckfield (pronounced Cookfield) for lunch.
This was set up in front of a little French bistro.  So pretty!
  

Below, the South Downs in the distance.



I loved the old homes around here.



The hotel/spa in Cuckfield, Ockenden Manor.


It has such an old world look!



My friend, Lisa, really wanted me to see South Lodge Hotel.


It is quite grand with sprawling grounds.  I felt a bit out of my element, but the servers were so nice and  we enjoyed a cup of tea/coffee on the veranda.  They gave us some little sweet treats for free!  I guess that's what happens when you go for coffee at a grand hotel!


It was a fun day of exploring our county and gave me some ideas of places to take visitors when they come.  So come on friends!  Let me personally show you around our part of England!

5 comments:

  1. Dear Tina - you and your family seem to have settled down here very quickly - it always helps when you have children which in turn leads you down other paths through their friends and their schools.
    My eldest son and family are in the process of moving from Norway to Paris, and I hope that they 'find their feet' as quickly as you appear to have done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to be the travelingest, busiest girl I know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow! That picture of the pond is beautiful! I'd love to live in that home on the left of it.

    Ockenden Manor is so a place I'd love to stay in, too. So charming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos and I loved the tour around! South Lodge Hotel looks fabulous! Glad you had a good time ~ nothing better than tea time with a friend. Love the photo of the old bicycle ~ it is perfect for in front of a bistro. Quite lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! SO beautiful!! I am going to England in 10 days and am sooo excited to be back in the UK! I went a year ago for the first time and fell in love with the history, architecture, and beauty of London. I wish I would have time to explore West Sussex!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...