27 February 2013

Where are You?

Many people have asked where we'll be living in England.  For so long it was easy to say "London" or "south of London."

So, I decided to create this map so you can see where we are spending our time in jolly ole England.
The top point (you may have to click the "-" on the left hand side of the map to pan it out a bit) is the village of Redhill where we are currently staying in a friend/colleague's home and the southern point is the town of Horsham where we are currently looking to live.


View
Redhill/Horsham in a larger map

Redhill is in the county of Surrey (directly below London County) and the location of Jerry's office. Horsham is in the county of West Sussex.  Both beautiful counties, rich in history.

You may be wondering why we are looking so far away from Jerry's office.  I promise,  I'll get to that.

We've taken a few trips to Horsham to look at properties.  The distance between Redhill and Horsham is about 18-19 miles.  On these small roads, however, it takes longer to go that far than it does in Texas!  It is a 30-45 minute drive.  Jerry won't be driving every day.  Most days he will take a train, which will also be abou 30 minutes.

Even though it's a bit of a drive, it is a beautiful one!!  Take a look at what we saw on our drive today!




This bridge is one lane only.


Luckily, we didn't encounter any large trucks or vans on this narrow lane!


In April of last year we visited some of our friends in the town of Horsham.  We fell in love with this area and almost instantly considered it a possible place to live.

The schooling situation in England is a difficult and complicated system.  As we go through the process of getting the kids in school I will explain more about it.

We've learned that schools in Horsham are over all very good, we can get a bit more space in housing and we have some ministry possibilities with some friends that sounds exciting to us.

We'll keep you posted on all these happenings!

8 comments:

  1. Driving here in England can be challenging but it is always beautiful! Speaking of driving, I'm taking my practical test today. Eeek...I'm nervous!

    Good luck in your house hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognise the church - it is 12th century Newdigate church. I know because it is my husband's ancestral roots going back to the time when the church was built.
    Good luck with all of the things you have ahead of you, new home, new schools, hope all goes well for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't remember where we were when I snapped the picture. Yes, Newdigate! How neat to have those ancestral roots!
      Thank you! We are ready to be settled, but know it still could be awhile.

      Delete
  3. It looks to be a lovely area. I find the narrow lanes so quaint but I have not endeavored to drive them. Since our move I have stuck to taking the tube and don't feel ambitious enough to even try driving...yet.
    Best of luck with getting settled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that the quaintness is why they will probably never make larger roads!! =) They are beautiful. I think if they could add just about another foot on each side it would make a huge difference. Oh well, they didn't ask me! Ha!
      Thanks!!

      Delete
  4. Find a good place for when I'm ready to visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really enjoying the theme/design of your blog. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility issues? A handful of my blog readers have complained about my blog not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Opera. Do you have any solutions to help fix this problem?

    Check out my blog post; best fiverr gigs best practices

    ReplyDelete
  6. That church is great!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...