22 February 2013

Driving on the Left

My biggest fear of moving to England was driving on the wrong left side of the road.  I feared pulling out into the wrong lane of traffic or looking right, first instead of left.

Living here requires us to drive.  So it was time to conquer our fears!!

  We were given a company car, affectionately named "The Blue Box."  Looks a bit like a box, doesn't it?!  Very British!  This will be our home on the road!


 It was just a matter of a lesson to feel comfortable before going it alone.

A local that works for our company is a former police officer.  We set up a time to drive with him to learn the road laws.  He was a great instructor!  By the time I got behind the wheel I was at ease.

We were familiar with driving on small European roads, but signs are a bit different as well as markings on the road.  And the fact that you sit on the right and shift with the left.  Luckily, the pedals are all the same.  Phew!


I am pleasantly surprised with how easy it is to drive on the left!  It doesn't mean we're pros.  We still have lots to learn, but we have been cleared to drive.  We even took quite a drive the day of our lesson ON OUR OWN to eat dinner at some friend's house.  I was so proud of Jerry for driving the whole way!


And we've learned that keeping yourself from going too far left and hitting a curb or smashing a side mirror of another car is actually the biggest obstacle for most.  We both saw how easy it is to do that.  By today, I didn't see Jerry going too far left.  It was just a matter of making visual markers on the car to help with that.

We've begun the search for a place to live.  Hopefully, we'll be updating you all on that very soon!!


9 comments:

  1. I have to say, Jerry looks a little more stiff and nervous that you do! I'm sure you are both handling it brilliantly though! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So glad this fear bit the dust! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done to you both - we always have to switch sides whenever we go on the Continent, and it doesn't take much time to adjust. It is the thought of doing it which is the hard part, in practice it is not too difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you are awesome...and the blue box is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure you will get used to it very soon. Eddy drives on the other side of the road when we go on holidays, and he does it with such ease! Me? You wouldn't have a hope of getting me behind the wheel. I salute your braveness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. {Kathy} During a recent trip to England, I felt like I was going to run into every oncoming car that came toward me! Kudos to you for driving there. I am deeply impressed! It looks like you are having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I´m Ana Isabel! I live in Seville, Spain! I have found by the blog "El trolley de Nieves.
    For me, it would be very difficult to drive from the right ( even being a driving school teacher), at least, at the begining.
    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blog! As a child, my family moved from England to the UK and experience everything reverse to you! Learning to drive on the other side, working out how to buy a house etc. Now that I have my own family back in the UK, it is funny to read how we all settle and adapt. Looks like you are doing a great job!

    www.samandasha2.blogspot.com

    If you ever need any advice, do feel free to email. I know how tough it is!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...