07 December 2012

Soldotna

Soldotna is a nice stop between Anchorage and Homer.  We had a 2 night stay to speak in a church.
If you find yourself there, don't pass up the chance to stop at The Moose is Loose for some donuts.  My friend and fellow Alaskan, Michelle, told me of it and I'm glad we took her suggestion.  It did not disappoint!!  Thanks Michelle!


When we made contact with our friend, he told us about a herd of caribou in the area.
We dropped what we were doing and hopped in the van.  We were glad they were still in the same spot!



Alaskan Wildlife 15


Alaskan Wildlife 16


Alaskan Wildlife 17

On the way back to where we were staying, we finally saw a moose!!

Alaskan Wildlife 19

I love this one with the fire hydrant!

Alaskan Wildlife 20

We also took a side trip to Kenai.  I always enjoy seeing this Russian Orthodox Church.


This church was completed in 1896!




The sign below is in front of this old house, now a coffee house.


Log ruins nearby.


St Nicholas Memorial Chapel.


This clumping of historical buildings is just a short walk to this beautiful view!



I'm glad we had a chance to stop at this area before heading back to Anchorage.

Throughout, you might have noticed all the rainy pictures, except for a few.  Well, all that rain was adding up and the Kenai River was rising.
Take a look at this.


I'm sure you see the problem here.


The Kenai River is already a swift river.  You add more water and it was roaring in some areas.


Jerry was the photographer for the majority of the time on this trip.  He did such a great job capturing everything.  Even when we had to stop for road construction.



I just love this shot of the boat on still water.


That about wraps up our trip of Alaska.  I'll probably share a few more random, favorite pictures.

We sure had an incredible time.  And it's been fun to go back through the pictures and reminisce.

I hope you've enjoyed it!

8 comments:

  1. I love The Moose is Loose! And did you eat in Veronica's? They have awesome food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful photos! I love the fire hydrant pic and the coffee shop is very cute! Somewhere I'd love to go one day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made your rounds up there!! We had a great stay in Homer one weekend. There was an earthquake, so that made it memorable! ha! I will never forget driving home one night and seeing a moose's antlers all tangled up in lights off a tree near the McD's going to the lake and airport in Anchorage. FUNNY!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I ended up paying the $2.50 for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the pilot car...what a memory.

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...