25 October 2012

Famous Eats in Anchorage

I don't remember eating at Peggy's growing up, but my dad does.  Peggy's is famous for it's pies and breakfast.


It is located right across from Merrill Field, a small plane airfield.  A large portion of Alaska is accessible only by bush plane.  If that kind of thing interests you I recommend watching Fly Wild Alaska.  It gives a realistic picture of what it's like to fly bush planes in Alaska.  It is a very interesting show and amazes me the weather conditions that these pilots fly in on a daily basis.



My kids learned about Peggy's by watching Sarah Palin's Alaska when Sarah & Piper helped served at Peggy's and picked up some famous pies.  You can see some of the pictures behind Reegan, below.


My Texas hubby was pleased with their sausage gravy!


Brennan showing off his Alaskan train!


I tell ya, my daughter does not know a stranger!!  If a waitress is the least bit nice, she will hug them to pieces!!  This waitress didn't mind one bit!  We enjoyed chatting with her.  She had just moved to Alaska a few months prior.  This was only her second day working at Peggy's.




All my Saturday morning breakfast outing memories are of Gwennie's Old Alaska Restaurant.  This place hasn't changed one bit!!  It was just like I remembered it!!


Placemats included!



Outside of Gwennie's.


I use to think Texans were a proud bunch, but visiting Alaska I realized that Alaskans could surely compete as a proud people!!  There aren't many places you go where you won't find a totem pole, a stuffed Alaskan animal, airplane paraphernalia, mining equipment, native Eskimo items, or fishing gear.






Jerry liked Peggy's sausage gravy better than Gwennie's, but I preferred my Gwennie's over Peggy's.  Their french toast was better and the memories from long ago made it much more special!!

If you ever find yourself in Anchorage, AK I would recommend both places for the history!!  Both of them have been icons for many years.

I hope you are enjoying my tour of Alaska.  I have SO much more to come!!



4 comments:

  1. I think I may need to stop reading your blog for a bit. My oldest daughter is trying to convince us to request Alaska for our next duty station because one of her best friends lives there. (they are stationed there and plan to stay when he separates from the service) Your pictures are beginning to convince me to talk it up some more with my husband. My husband on the other hand would like to move back to Florida...

    I am enjoying reading about your trip.

    julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get to Moose's Tooth for pizza? I STILL miss that pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun stuff! Our big out to eat is SAMs club. They even closed our chillis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was so great! My Texas husband did also enjoy the sausage gravy in Alaska :) So glad you mentioned the bush planes. Most of our sporting trips from Nome were all on them. Honestly, I think I felt safer riding in one than in a puddle jumper from Abilene, TX to Dallas haha!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...