08 September 2012

First Days in Texas

It's always a bit surreal coming back to the US.  I call it an "out of body experience."  The drinks are bigger, the vehicles are HUGE.  I get a little overwhelmed (although giddy at the same time) at the grocery store and people talk to you in the grocery store!!  Ha!!

Then there is the adjusting to Texas.  I still remember a few years ago while at a conference about Central & Eastern Europe.  We were living in Czech Republic at the time and I had traveled with Jerry (pre-kids of course) to Texas to help.  We were at a church in Houston and a couple from the midwest had come to attend.  While washing hands in the ladies room the wife said to me "It sure is a different world down here!"  I giggled a bit and said "Yes, yes it is!"

Things like filling up your gas tank while you stop for a bit of Texas BBQ!!


Not only is there the adjusting to Texas life, but I am having to adjust to SMALL TOWN Texas life.  We were spoiled with our last time stateside by living in Fort Worth.  Things like Panera Bread, Super Target, several Wal-Marts and just about any restaurant you wanted was in easy reach.

We're staying in Ennis, southeast of Dallas.  We are enjoying the house (isn't it pretty?).....

The sunrise, looking out from the dining room window.


......any kind of clothes shopping or specialty restaurants are 45 minutes away.  This urbanized girl, Jerry too, really, are having to adjust.  The grass is always greener on the other side, eh?

We're doing great though!  We hadn't been back in Texas a week and decided to take a last minute trip to Galveston.  We spent 2 days at Moody Gardens as well as the beach and just enjoyed ourselves.

The view from our rental house.
On the beach.  What you can't see are the dead fish laying around.  Oxygen levels in the water had changed, suffocating the fish.  Karis was grossed out!  Ha!




We spent 2 days at Moody Gardens.



The aquarium.  Seahorses are so cool!



Three people in scuba gear were cleaning the tanks.  I love this shot!




 We watched a couple of 3D and 4D movies.



Rode on a paddle boat.



Enjoyed the view and the playing at the Palm Beach area of the gardens!!



And walked through the rainforest.



We had a fun time and enjoyed being by the ocean again.

3 comments:

  1. I agree! Since moving back to small town Texas a year ago I have had some adjustments as well! Ha ha! Although the small town part was the same (we lived in a REALLY small town in Co) Texas is still Texas! Ha! Glad to have you stateside though! Let me know when you head to Albuquerque - would LOVE to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing your life back in Texas...makes me homesick! Enjoy your days in America!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to the USA. I will say that not having things like Panera Bread or Target would be an adjustment. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...