29 February 2012

Alaska's Iditarod

This coming Saturday the Alaska Iditarod dog sled race will begin with a ceremonial start in Anchorage.  I've never actually seen the ceremonial start. One year the route went across Big Lake, right in front of our house, so we did see some of the mushers mushing by.  I don't think they used that route for very long.

I've not kept up with the race much until recent years, but I'll be watching more closely this year as a classmate of mine will be in the race.  I've spent lots of time looking at her race page on facbook as they get her and her dogs ready for this 1131 mile race!!  All the preparation is just amazing and bit mind boggling to me!! 

And the cold......oh the cold!!

Have a great race, Anj!  I'll be cheering you on!

5 comments:

  1. How fun! I will have to see if I can find it and follow it - would be cool to watch in person sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember in 2007 the Iditarod started the same day as my sister's wedding (March 3rd, again!), and since she got married in downtown Anchorage (or near there) and had her reception at the Marriott, we got to see lots of craziness in the midst of wedding preparations. I remember following it as a child...crazy the things that are a part of our history that aren't a part of other people's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking at her pictures on facebook and all her preparation is just amazing. I will be praying she has a safe and successful race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My crew git their first ever sled dog ride last weekend, it was AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's amazing that you know someone who is racing--wow! Way cool. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...