31 May 2011

Fraud

I was doing some picking up and sorting this morning when I had this nudging that I needed to check our bank account.  I had just checked it at the end of last week and we hadn't made that many transactions over the weekend, but I couldn't ignore the urge I had.

This is one of those times that I truly believe it was the Lord giving me that little nudge.  Wouldn't you know, there were 13 fraudulent transaction from Illinois that had popped up today!
I immediately called and reported the charges and got the visa debit card cancelled.  I forget sometimes that Jerry and I have 2 different cards.  When it was cancelled, I was worried that we wouldn't be able to get cash out.  It's not like we could head to our bank or a store with the check book and get cash.

I then had to call our credit union to work out the details of a new card.  The lady I talked to was so nice and was so apologetic that this had happened to us.  I asked how this could have happened.  She went on to explain that some ATMs had been hit in Spain.  I have no idea how it works, but somehow they are able to get your information and create a new card.  She said it can take up to a year from the time they steal the info to the time they use the fraudulent card.  Interestingly enough, right after we moved to Spain, in July our cards got cancelled because they discovered this.  Sounds as if it was still happening once we got our new cards.

She then verified that it was only my card, so we are able to continue using Jerry's.  Phew!  She suggested we watch our account closely to see if fraudulent charges begin popping up on his card.

Even in this unfortunate event and feeling violated, the Lord sure has worked out some of the details.  I leave for the US in 3 weeks.  It is perfect timing so that I don't have to worry about having the new card mailed internationally.  It's a blessing that it isn't Jerry's card as well and if it had been Jerry's card instead of mine, we would have to have it mailed internationally.  Not a huge deal, but I'd much rather that card stay in the mail system in the US and I can pick it up as soon as I get to Texas.

The other blessing.  We completed an expense report just last week and the reimbursement came through TODAY!  Thankfully we have funds to draw from instead of sitting with an empty account until the charges are reimbursed to us.  We were stressing with a vacation planned for next week, but God is working out the details!

Thank you, Lord!

9 comments:

  1. Wow! I have had something like that happen to me on more than one occasion! How fortunate that you caught it early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad it worked out Tina! You are the second person today that I have heard of this happening to - thank the Lord for His prompting and your obedience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, that comment was from Ronnie Arrington. For some reason I can't get it to post from my google...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trying to see if this works! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, bright side? if I STOLE a credit card i so wouldn't go to food for less or church's chicken. nope, you'd have been paying for nordies, steaks and specialties shops! at least they were kinda frugal with it????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness!!! That is terrible! We had that happen to us, instead it was SEVERAL gas charges! :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. C, I know! I thought the same thing! I would not be shopping at Marshalls and eating at Church's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow Tina, thats awful! praise God for his hand on you guys even in the midst of trouble like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so glad i didn't offend there LOL. i know it's a pain!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...