22 March 2011

Realities of Europe

Honestly, the questions in my last post were somewhat selfish.  Isn't that often how we as human beings think?  Or maybe it's just me!!
I often wonder what people, friends, family think of us living in Europe.  Are we crazy?  Are we on an exciting adventure in beautiful places?  Are we uhm.....crazy?  That first and last question are probably very true!  We are a bit crazy!
 
Thinking through and discussing these kinds of things is always interesting to me.  Peoples perspectives and ideas can be so vastly different based on so many different things.  Our education, experiences, places we've lived, people whom we know.

Sometimes I wonder how expats living in Europe are viewed.  Do you think it would be easy?  Western Europe has running water, toilets that flush, flashy fashion trends.  Doesn't sound so bad.

Honestly, it's not that hard to live here, comfort wise.  We have everything we need and more! I even have better internet than my parents!

I try to think back to before we moved to Europe and how I viewed it.  One of my lifelong dreams was to ride a gondola in Venice, Italy.  Based on that dream alone, I think I romanticized it just a bit.
Of course, there is plenty to romanticize.  It's beautiful!
Did I enjoy that gondola ride in Venice?
You bet!

 Oh how we look so young....with glasses.....and skinny!!  Circa 2000 with our spankin' new mammoth of a digital camera!

Have I seen my fair share of beautiful castles?
What do you think?

And cathedrals?
Just few!

However, the castles, the cathedrals, the Alps, the gondola rides are just a scratch of the reality that makes up Europe.

When picturing Europe most probably think of Western Europe, but in our communications work with our organization we see and cover Portugal to Far East Russia, from Finland to Greece.

It is put so well by a fellow in Spain.
"Missionaries living and serving in the Western Mediterranean region of Europe have a much different life than they grew up reading about in traditional missi. They have no huts, no bush and no fear of the jungle or cannibalism; nor do they see tribes of people converting to Christ. Instead, they live in big cities with busy people caught up in materialism and the post-Christian culture of Europe."

I also really like this article and think it's a good definition of what some do in Europe called Horizontal Missions.  The article is describing this as it pertains to volunteers that come to work in Europe, but I think it is so true of those of us who live in Europe as well.
"With no physical needs to meet and with no apparent opportunities to assist habitants in daily life, the foci can be more on prayer and building relationships than performing specific tasks. Trip planning is less about a predetermined daily schedule and more about following the Spirit as He leads. A typical day on this mission trip might be spent prayerwalking a neighborhood or hanging out in a coffee shop, prayerfully seeking to connect with one or two locals.  
 Citizens of the United States have the ability to travel to remote locations of the world and help the helpless, and should, for the sake of the Gospel. Yet those who exist in cultures just as advanced as theirs should not be forgotten."

Yep, that about sums it up.  In Western Europe, we may have a lifestyle similar to that in the US, but the task before us is huge and long!

I guess this is a bit of a challenge to you.  Will you take the time to think past the things you know that make up the reality of Europe?

You may be asking what that is.

Human trafficking and prostitution, to name a big one!
I came across this blog post last year titled "The Sex Cafe." I would encourage you to read it. It gives insight into where the human trafficking begins. It's sickening, but it's reality.

Did you know that the city we lived in, Prague, Czech Republic is a main thoroughfare for human trafficking?  And even more pointedly, the district of Prague 3, where we lived, is home to much of the cities sex industry?  Among all that beauty, cobblestone streets, picturesque views is a very dark city.  A very lost country.

In another part of Europe, the country of France, one M speaks in this article about prostitution and how they are reaching out to these women.
"In France, legalized prostitution includes paying taxes, accruing vacation time and having access to social services such as health care. But despite the fact that a secular government has given legitimacy to this profession, its dependents are still robbed of their hope and dignity.
Most women on the streets are either victims of circumstance or something far more sinister. Sex trafficking is a thriving industry in France.  Many prostitutes have been brought from other countries, had their passports taken, experience physical, sexual, emotional, financial abuse, and are often forced into dependent substance use.  Threats and intimidation are an every day reality for these women. "

There are so many more, but this post is already getting long, so I'll spare you.  But just to give you a little peek.......persecution of Roma (Gypsies/Roma are the largest minority in Europe), war torn Balkans, alcoholism in Russia.  This is just a tiny bit of the realities we are faced with all over Europe.  Maybe I'll share more about these at a later time.

Did you know some of these things existed?  Are you surprised?  So what are your thoughts of on the  work in Europe??

Will you join with us and pray for the people groups that make up Europe?

I would be ever so grateful!!  And would love to hear from you again!  Thanks for all your comments on the last post!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the perspective from a missionary living in what we'd always like to think of as a dreamland. Reality is that sin in any culture is dangerous and harmful. It breaks my heart to think of all of those women that are forced into that slavery.

    I would imagine that sharing the gospel with Europeans would be very hard, just because of the way most view Americans....let alone a Christian one.

    You and your family will be in our prayers as you work for His glory in sharing about the Hope that is found only in Jesus. Thank you for going and sharing. For sacrificing so much so that others may hear. May God bless you continually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really admire and respect you for answering God's call to missions. On the one hand, I see your living in Europe as an exciting adventure, but I also think about the realities of where you are and the tough job ahead of you. And I know at times you probably get homesick and miss your family in the States. At least I think I would!

    It's so awesome to think about the different ways God can and wants to use us, no matter where we live or what our situation in life. He has a job for us to do to reach the world for him. I think sometimes that people don't think of themselves as a missionary because they don't fit the typical role, but in reality we all are. God just calls each of us to do it differently at times. And when we do His will WILLINGLY, we are all the more blessed for it.

    I'm praying for you and your sweet family. Please pray for me as well as I seek ways to to minister to others WHILE I complete my degree. I'm so guilty of thinking I'll get to do more for Him when my schooling is finished, that I forget sometimes that He has me at this place and time for a reason.

    God bless you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well done. Many people have a funny idea what missionaries should go through.

    I've even struggled with an incorrect mindset that if I'm not 'struggling', I'm not a 'true' missionary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think missionaries can be valuable anywhere - no matter what the state of living is. In fact, I think it can sometimes be harder to reach a people group that doesn't have much want for anything. It's harder for them to comprehend a 'need' for Jesus - they are not struggling either.

    I spent a portion of a semester studying abroad in Oxford, England as a college student. I loved it! My best friend and I observed that while it is very 'religious' there - it was very hard for us to find a vibrant place to really worship alongside natives that were engaged in a living and active faith.

    After our studies were complete, I got to travel through France and Italy. I'd loooove to go back - Venice was one of my favorite locations, but I never did get that Gondola ride! ;)

    How long have you been there? Do you know how long you'll stay?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to tell you that Human trafficking has been on my mind a lot lately. I saw a Documentary during nap time about a month ago and my heart ached. Woman, men and Children being lured away to other countries to be enslaved.
    I have been thinking about what I can do, searching the internet for ways to get involved and volunteer my time.
    I have started by educating people. Mainly just posting articles so people are aware of what's going on.
    Human beings like to put blinders on to anything that is uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, I visited that blog and read "Sex cafe" I shared it on my FB page..wow. I am so heart broken. Going to spend an hour in prayer for Anne and her team!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew several of the things you mentioned, having grown up there, and I so agree with 'don't forget western Europe!" HOWEVER, your quotes and links about human trafficking and the fact that it is legalized in France (didn't' know that) were very surprising. I always knew that there were human/sex slaves in these richer European/US countries, but not that it can start/grow there. I am glad you opened my eyes on that as I typically think of this kind of evil in developing countries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miriam, I saw a CNN report one time. A guy was caught by the Coast Guard off the coast of Italy for trafficking. Had a whole boat full of girls. It seems it was a main area for trafficking as well. It was interesting and sad to hear. The interviewer said "You have a wife, daughters, nieces...how can you do this?" His response was it was all about the money. Just sad!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...