23 March 2011

Reading

That's a little tat (temporary, of course) on her arm if you're wondering.  My kids LOVE tattoos!

It seems these days that most people have their kids reading at the age of 3 or 4 years old.  Well, that didn't happen in our home.

But Karis is a quick learner and is in the beginning stages of reading Spanish.  It can be a bit confusing for her.  Her biggest hang up, understandably so, is the Spanish letter "e" which makes an "a" sound.  She is always wanting to say "e" when an "i" makes an "e" sound.  Did you follow that?

She's doing so well!

I've got a book coming from the States so we can start working more on English reading.  We'll see how that goes, but I'm looking forward to working more with her.  As long as we don't pummel each other across the room first!

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear, thinking about teaching my two to read one day gives me a headache already. I am terrible at foreign languages, but my husband Justin seems to pick them up well. He's fluent in spanish.

    And my Levi loves tatoos too! He leaves them on for as long as possible and hates when they get washed off. We bought several packets of Toy Story ones so he could wear them whenever he wanted. My parents think it's crazy and keep saying he's going to grow up wanting to have tatoos all over his body. Um, right, because 2 year olds make those kind of permanent decisions...ha.

    Thanks for liking my fridge Tina. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at her! That is amazing. Reading is such a wonderful gift. I haven't been here in a while so I need to catch up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really started to learn to read and write letters in first grade, back then they didn't push you like now. That's how I want it to be with Jman, more simple, taking his time. And I am always amazed how much he is learning without me even really 'teaching him' (as in an organized, routinely and intentional manner). I learned to read English after I learned the Italian alphabet and sounds. Because I knew English speaking it at home whit my mom I would just grab a English book and read it in "Italian" sounding out the more familiar sounds I was learning at school and then I would be able to tell what it should sound really in English and make the change. So I learned by memorizing words with sounds instead of phonetically, and that's why with several words I will mispronounced them in English if I am not familiar with them!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...