15 February 2011

I Want You To Meet S

In areas of Madrid you will commonly find Africans standing outside the major stores or malls.  It looks as if they are holding a folder of papers/fliers to sell, but I've been told it is a way for someone to give them a donation.  By placing the money on top the folder.

I have a real heart for the Africans who come from various countries to Europe and try to start a new life.  The stories of some of them are tragic.  We have been blessed to get to know some of these immigrants.  One from Congo when we lived in Prague who has been a true friend even calling us from Congo and sending us emails at times.  It reminds me that I haven't heard from him in awhile and need to write him!
A couple of months ago I met S in front of the Carrefour we frequent (it's like a Target or Walmart).  I was by myself (Jerry was meeting me at the car) and he offered to help with my bags.  They were heavy and I was happy to have his help!  We chatted a bit about where we were from and how long we've been in Spain.  I haven't heard much of his story of how he came to Spain or his life in, I believe, Zimbabwe (I have such a bad memory).  We just haven't made it that far in our 2 minutes or so of chatting.   I do know that he has a child and has made reference to God.  I hope and pray we can have more spiritual conversations in the future.

I have often wondered how much money he is given in a day.  Is it enough for him to support a family?  We usually let him take our cart and allow him to return it for the coin inside (to use carts at the grocery store, you have to place a 50 cent, 1 or 2 euro coin to use as a deposit).  One day as I was going in I asked if there was anything I could get him.  What impressed me is that he was very gracious about it, didn't demand anything and appreciated whatever I could get.  I still asked for anything specific and he settled on some rice, peppers and tomatoes.
 The other day I came out by myself and felt badly because I didn't have any coins and told him up front that I didn't.  He said it was ok and helped me anyway.  He really has been very kind.
The whole family went over the weekend and we made up for it then.
I wish I could help ALL the Africans that we encounter going to and from different stores.  Oh, how I wish I could!  But I can pray!  And I hope you will too!

Could you pray for S?

And pray for me and Jerry as we might have opportunities to get to know him more and share the love of Christ?

And join me in praying for the Africans from various countries coming to Spain seeking a better life.

Thank you!!

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing story Tina and YES I will pray for S, his family, and for you to reach him even more. I think that is so great that he is always there when you go so you can help him out... keep us updated on his story!PS - if he is from Zimbabwe, let me know what part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's something I'd be hesitant to do here in my home city, but God has used it in this man's life. May He continue to give you and your husband wisdom about ways to reach out. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...