22 February 2011

I Am First

"I'm first!"


"No, I'm first!"

This is a constant battle between the kids.  I remembered a tip from a friend and established a calendar for everyone to have a "first" day.   Had I not done this, insanity would have continued!
Ok, insanity still ensues, but by implementing this maybe we've lessened it a bit!  Ha!

Basically every three days the kids have a "first" day.  They get to pick their favorite plate, hit the buttons for the elevator, be first in line to brush their teeth or first to play on the computer, pick a show on tv, or what have you.

Some days of the month will just be a free for all.  We'll have to see how that plays out when the time comes.  I decided to make a chart assigning their days.  I planned on making a chart on the computer, but due to still updating some things on my new computer, that I got for Christmas, I couldn't do that.  So, I did a nifty handwritten version.  It's crooked and uneven, but the kids started sprucing it up with stickers they got for Valentine's Day.  Not too bad!
We'll see how this continues, but it seems to be working alright.

It got me thinking about our walk with the Lord and reminded me about a billboard I'd seen in the Fort Worth area 2 years ago when we were on our stateside assignment in Texas.

It simply said "IAmSecond.com."

Being the very curious person that I am I went straight home and checked the website.  If you haven't seen this website, I suggest you take some time to check it out.  Once I realized what this was I was shocked, amazed and excited that this billboard was all over the place.  Testimonies of how God has touched the lives of authors, actors, athletes, singers, soldiers, theologians and more.  Some of the people on there were such a surprise to me and how God had touch their lives!  And I really enjoyed the testimony of the 11 year old actress, Bailee Madison.  What a sweet, sweet girl!

As much as we need order in our lives by creating "first" day  it is also a reminder to me how important it is for us to teach our kids that it's not always about being first.

Dear Lord help me as I teach my children to make YOU, Christ first in their lives.

WE are second!

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Thanks for sharing, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great reminder! Glad I stopped by this morning . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great reminder! Glad I stopped by this morning . . .

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...