12 November 2010

Flashback Friday

I've decided to start doing a little serious called Flashback Friday.  Maybe it will be every week, maybe not.  We'll see.  At the beginning of this year I wrote 2 posts about the last 10 years of living in Europe, here and here.  There was no way to share every one of our experiences during those 10 years in 2 posts, so I had the idea to go through the tons of digital pictures (when digital cameras were big and bulky and only took about 14 pictures at a time! Ha) that we have taken and use it to share about our life experiences.
I wish blogging had been around 11 years ago!  I'm not one to keep a journal, but there is something different and refreshing about blogging that I love.  So, it will be fun for me (maybe you too?) to go back and do some reminiscing.
One of our first photos in Russia.


The big sign on the side of the building says "Мы строим коммунизм." In English "We are building communism."  And to the left of the picture, the widely known McDonalds sign!! 
I think they were cleaning the side of the building to put a new advertisement up over the communist sign, but it was funny all the same.
We frequented this McDonalds quite a bit in those days!  It was one of the few places where you could get American food.  Russia had a TGIFridays at that time, but we went there less frequently due to the cost.  We were amazed at the Russian craze over McDonalds.  Hoards of people stand in a big mass!  There are no lines.  It's a free for all to get to the front to order!!  Crazy with a capital "C!"  I always let Jerry do the ordering while I went on a hunt for a table.  It worked for us.  Or maybe it worked more for me because he knew how much I hated ordering in those UN-lines!

Those first days in Russia seem like a life time ago!!  We just passed our 11 year mark at the end of October.  Where has the time gone?!  

Thanks for joining me and I hope you enjoy my time of reminiscing!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...