20 October 2010

School Lunch

As I mentioned previously, my kiddos have been coming home for lunch each day from 1-3 pm.  It's been working out ok, but it's also been difficult for me to get things done and even study Spanish.

In the afternoon, when taking them back, there is only a one and a half hour time period before I have to pick them up again.  So far I have not ventured far from home, except for one quick trip to a nearby grocery store.  But I am so afraid of getting caught in traffic and not making it back in time and Jerry is in Spanish classes right now, so he wouldn't even be able to pick them up.  I digress....

My thought had been to give my kids some time to get adjusted to school life and eventually (maybe after Christmas) have them stay for lunch 2-3 times a week. Last week Karis had some issues at school (after a 4 day weekend...I  believe this to be the culprit).  She did not want to return to school.  She said it was too long.  Hmmm....  I went ahead and told her that eventually she would stay for lunch 2-3 times a week.  I went on to threaten suggest that if she did not return to class with a good attitude that she would have to stay for lunch because I couldn't let her treat her teacher that way when returning in the afternoon.

Now, if you are at all familiar with the Mediterranean diet you will know that it includes lots of fish and lentils.  I made a flippant remark one day prior (oops) about them serving fish at school which, of course, Karis remembered and quickly told me "I am not eating fish for lunch" (and kids cannot take their own lunch in Spain, so I've been told)!!  Great, my own words coming back to haunt me !  Ha!  And no, they don't eat fish every day.

Moving on to this week.....which has been much better so far!  Thank the Lord and thanks to many of my facebook friends that prayed for her!!  Yesterday at lunch we somehow got on the subject of eating at school.  I again reminded them that eventually they would stay for lunch, at least some of the time.  They didn't sound at all enthused.  That is UNTIL I mentioned that they wouldn't be eating the whole time.  Once they were finished they would get to go play!  Why had I not thought to mention this sooner?!  My girls perked up and quickly informed me that they would like to stay for lunch!  Wow!  Talk about a turn of events!!  Ha!  Brennan is still not too excited about it.  He's a little more timid, but that's ok.

Last night Brennan & Reegan both had a fever and I also wasn't feeling well.  I started thinking about how the day would pan out with 2 kids home sick and having to pick up Karis from school and Jerry being gone.  I had the idea that Karis could go ahead and stay for lunch today. That would eliminate a pick up and a drop off and only leave me with picking her up once.  I presented her with the idea and she was such a trooper about it!!  She even told me that she would eat fish even if she didn't like it!!  What a sport!

Even though I am home sick with 2 kids and not doing much else but watch tv and play on the computer, this is a big day in the Barnwell household!  Way to go Karis!!  We'll see if it is as fun as she hoped and I pray she is willing to stay for lunch again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...