19 October 2010

I'm a Pancake Mom

Recently I was in an online discussion about being or not being a pancake mom.
Pancakes are now my thing.  Key word being "now."  Early on in our marriage I was not a good pancake maker.  They came out burnt on the outside and gooey on the inside.  But when it comes to baking, I am not to be deterred!  I kept at it until I figured it out.
Most people have a pizza night in their family.  Reegan takes after her grandpa and is not much of a pizza eater, so we dubbed a pancake night!  Usually either Friday or Saturday.  I usually make something in keeping with the season.  This being autumn, I've been making pumpkin pancakes the past couple of weeks.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes

1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1-3/4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1-1/4 cups milk
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (I didn't have any, so I increased the milk a bit and it turned out great)
1/4 cup chocolate chips

Mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg, oil and vinegar. In a separate bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, stir into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine. Mix in chocolate chips.

Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Use approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. 

First, I had to make the brown sugar.  Do you know how easy it is to make brown sugar?  You just have to mix some molasses (or treacle for those in the UK) and sugar.  I can't find American brown sugar (I've found natural cane sugar that has a similar consistency, but I love the flavor that molasses adds), so I make my own.


1 cup of sugar and 1 & 1/2 tablespoons of sugar gives you a cup of light brown sugar.  Increase the molasses to 1/4 cup for dark brown sugar.  I mix it in a jar with a fork to get it all mixed in.
I then chop up some chocolate.  This is actually the first European country I have lived in where I could buy chocolate chips.  They are in a teeniny bag though.  I've only bought them once.  They are the semisweet version and I am all about the milk chocolate.  So, I'll continue to chop up milk chocolate bars.


 Ready for the griddle!


 Yum!



These have a nice spiced flavor with a hint of sweet from the chocolate and were oh so good!!
I make pumpkin chocolate chip muffins every year, which I haven't made yet but plan to this week.  That's what inspired the pancakes.  And I have yet to make pumpkin crumble, but I plan to this season!
My mouth is watering just thinking of it!

7 comments:

  1. Yummy, we normally have breakfast for dinner on Sunday nights. I make pancakes or waffles, bacon and cheese grits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds SO good! Definitely making them for dinner tonight, probably with whole wheat flour though. I never think about how hard it would be for you to find things we take for granted in the US, like chocolate chips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so creative when it comes to baking. I want to be you when I grow up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sound really good! We love pancakes around here! Did you make it with the puree you made? my housekeeper gave me some and I need to use it for something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The wheat flour is a good idea Heather.
    And Jen, you're so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made these for breakfast...SO good! And then I looked at the recipe I invented last fall and it's almost identical (minus the allspice and the chocolate chips)! I subbed cloves for the cinnamon (I think Lane is allergic to cinnamon but she loves pancakes) and they turned out well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and I added 1/3 cup of wheat bran. Still good, and more healthy!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...