18 May 2010

autoškolas and tour guides

 This last Friday we took our first driving test at an autoškola (auto school).


We drove a Škoda (a Czech brand of car), which you see here.  Complete with a little autoškola sign on top of the car to let everyone around you know you are in training.  Fun, fun!  Seems kind of funny being a 30-something in the car!

In Czech, Škoda is a name, but it also means "it's a pity."  What a name for a car!

This test was to see if we were good enough of a driver to bypass the class time.  Luckily, both Jerry and I passed.  Phew!!!  From what I understand we now have to take the written test (it's in Czech, but we'll have a certified translator to translate the test) then one more driving test with an official to see if we indeed know our stuff and then hopefully we'll have our Czech driver's license.

Saturday I got to play tour guide!!  My friend and fellow Hannah's Prayer board member, Kristi had a colleague bringing some of her students to Europe on a class trip.  She asked me if I would give them a tour of Prague.  I am truly no tour guide.  I love finding the back alleyways and I can get ya to just about any store.  But, my ability to remember historical facts and events is nil to none.  So, I commandeered my friend and colleague, Denise.
 This is right up her ally and something she loves to do.




 I learned a lot by touring with her on Saturday!


And I had a great time meeting new people.


After we took them around in the morning we made our way to a Czech restaurant to give them a taste of Czech cuisine.  My lunch was Czech gulash and knedleky (dumplings).  It was so yummy!


The restaurant hired this guy to come around in traditional dress, talk with the customers and allow them to take pictures.  Excuse the photo quality.  I had my little camera that has poor lighting in a very dark restaurant.


What a fun day!  I love touring our beautiful city of Prague!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...