22 April 2010

"Show Us Your Life" How I Met My Hubby

I'm joining up with Kelly's Korner Blog  on Show Us Your Life.
I wish I had some pictures uploaded to share, but we were married WAY before digital!  Ha!
I had just moved to the Dallas/Fort Worth area from west Texas, where I want to school at Wayland Baptist University.  A friend from college had graduated and was moving to DFW as well, so we got an apartment together.  We were both working in downtown Dallas and looking for a church to call home.
A friend from work had invited us to attend with her.  By this point in was December, Christmas season and her church was having a Christmas program.  It was a little church start in Lancaster, TX.
Jerry was the Singles/College Leader (just a volunteer position in this 40-something member church).  There were only about 4 of them, so he made it his mission to welcome the new girls.
After the program we went over to our friend's house for pizza and chatting.  I was kind of taken with Jerry.  He was a pretty cool guy!  His roommate had tagged along with him as well and Aaron (and now his wife) are one of our bestest friends to this day!
We exchanged numbers, he wanted to call us for a football/Christmas party, but he gave me is number as well.  I actually called him first!  My reason was that I was helping to find people park cars at a country club that I worked at from time to time to make some good, quick, extra money.  Jerry wasn't free, but Aaron was up for making some extra money.  But it wasn't long that Jerry called me back to invite me to his Christmas party.  Jerry, Aaron, my roommate Robin & I decided to be spontaneous and take a road trip.  Jerry and I sat in the bag together and did some flirting!  Ha!  Afterward he asked me go see Christmas lights.  With the friend who introduced us (shoot, I can't remember her name as we haven't stayed in touch).  We again flirted in the car and he even held my hand with my friend poking me on the side.  Ha!  Then he invited me on a real date to Six Flags for their Christmas opening.  If you've ever been there at Christmas, you'll know it's awesome!!
I was a little quiet and reserved, but as time went on I opened up.  I was headed home to Alaska to spend Christmas with my family, so I said goodbye for a few weeks completely enamored!  Ha!
While home I was talking about him quite a bit.  My mom thought it was too early for me to be so smitten, so I kept my mouth shut about him as much as I could!  Ha!
We were bringing in the New Year at our house by playing a game of Chicago Rummy, our family card game.  It was almost 12:30 am and the phone rang.  My dad looked at me and I said "Why you looking at me, who would be calling me?"  When he answered I was so taken aback when he handed me the phone.  And Jerry was on the other end.  I then knew he liked me as much as I liked him!!
When I got back from Alaska we were inseparable spending all our free time together.
It wasn't long and things got serious.  It was Valentine's Day (or the weekend before).  After a nice dinner at an Italian restaurant in Las Colinas and while walking on their river walk he popped the question!  After knowing each other only 2 months we were engaged!!!  How crazy is that!!  We were married the following August.  That was 1994 and this August we will have been married for 16 years!  Wow, saying that makes me sound old!  Ha!

2 comments:

  1. Love it, love it! I linked up, but I had written my post last year and didn't feel like even copying it! Did you know we were stationed in AK for a few years?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds familiar! My hubby & I only dated about 2 1/2 months & then we were engaged! When ya know...ya know!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...