23 October 2014

A Glimpse of Surrey

Surrey, England, Abinger Hammer, travel

A mom from the kid's school and I have gone on an excursion each year, scoping out interesting places near us.

She suggested the Abinger Hammer Clock and seeing as it is in close proximity to so many other gems in Surrey I was anxious to see it.

Abinger Hammer, Clock, Surrey, England, Travel

The man strikes the bell every hour with his hammer.  The clock was built in 1909 to commemorate the blacksmithing industry in the village.

After admiring the clock and hearing it chime we drove over to the neighboring town of Gomshall.

Gomshall, Surrey, England, Travel

It is situated on the Tillingbourne River that powers the Gomshall Mill, once a corn mill.
 It's now an adorable and quaint restaurant that I must go back to!

Gomshall Mill, Gomshall, Surrey, England, Travel

The wheel is in the middle of the building behind glass, but you can sit at one of the quaint tables and watch it move.

Gomshall Mill, Gomshall, Surrey, England, Travel

Pubs can be such beautiful buildings and this one ranks right up there as one of the most beautiful ones I've seen.  I definitely want to come back for dinner!

Gomshall Mill, Gomshall, Surrey, England, Travel

Look at these sweet little nooks!!

Gomshall Mill, Gomshall, Surrey, England, Travel

I can just imagine curling up with the one you love or a group of friends and chatting all night!!

Next we made our way to the beautiful town of Shere.

Shere, Surrey, England, Travel

St James Church in Shere.

St James Church, Shere, Surrey, England, Travel

St James Church, Shere, Surrey, England, Travel

You might know that Shere is a well known filming location.

Shere, Surrey, England, Travel

With all these charming little buildings and gorgeous church it's easy to understand why.

Crumbs Bakery, Shere, Surrey, England, Travel

I'm such a fan of the movie, The Holiday.  It was my whole motivation for my first visit to Shere last year.

Wouldn't you know that as we entered Shere we learned that filming was going on.  They were shooting a series based on the Professor Branestawm books, a 13 book series written by the English writer Norman Hunter.

Filming Professor Branestawm, Shere, Surrey, England, Travel

The policeman on the bike road into a small bridge and flew into the water several times while we were there.  It was fascinating to watch.

On my last visit to Shere I had seen and fallen in love with the quaint, little Dabbling Duck Tea Room. 

Dabbling Duck Tea Room, Shere, Surrey, England, Travel

The touches of decor inside and out are very thoughtful.

Dabbling Duck Tea Room, Shere, Surrey, England, Travel

And they've been told they have the best sausage roll ever.

Dabbling Duck Tea Room, Shere, Surrey, England, Travel

I didn't try the sausage roll myself as I was more interested in the butternut squash soup.......

Dabbling Duck Tea Room, Shere, Surrey, England, Travel, soup, butternut squash

and cream tea served on the cutest wooden duck serving trays!

Dabbling Duck Tea Room, Cream Tea, Dabbling Duck Tea Room, Shere, Surrey, England, Travel

It was all shere deliciousness (<---- did="" like="" p="" that="" you="">
And just look at how quaint it is on the inside!

Dabbling Duck Tea Room, Cream Tea, deli, cafe, Dabbling Duck Tea Room, Shere, Surrey, England, Travel

So quaint, so charming and so beautiful!  I definitely want to return!

Have you visited Shere?  Come for a visit and I'll take you!


21 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing them. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photographs that made me "home"sick! I also love the movie The Holiday, but never made it over to Shere. Did you redesign your blog? It looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There really is nothing like an English pub. I wish we had that over here. They are all so unique and cozy. I used to live in Surrey. I love that area. Reminds me of my home away from home.

    How cool to see a movie being filmed! Is there anyone big in it?

    V
    Life+1

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite thing about living outside of London was the chance to vibist all the small villages around. I never went to Shere, but wish I had. You're right, it looks so quaint

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to go to Surrey since reading Harry Potter -- I know it's weird! These photos make me want to go even more! It looks absolutely quaint and cute and gorgeous - just like I like my towns! Love your photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quaint and charming are definitely the perfect words to describe Surrey! And that pub is too cute for words! I love all of its little nooks, it looks so cozy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I fell in LOVE with this pub!! I'm hoping to go back at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still have so much I want to explore!! I haven't been to the areas where Harry Potter was filmed, but I've been researching it. Thanks!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have loved living south of London. 30 minutes from the coast and within in hours reach of so many beautiful places. I still have so much to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you know who Harry Hill is? They're all English actors that I'm not familiar with.
    English pubs are definitely unique. Then add all the charming little tea rooms!
    I've definitely loved living in West Sussex and being able to explore the surrounding counties of Surrey and Kent too. So much beauty in this area!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There isn't a whole lot to Shere, but it is small and quaint.
    I did do a redesign and simplified some things. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, this is what I imagine when I picture myself living in England some day. *sighs*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nope, but my husband does! Sounds lovely there. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those cute little benches! I am such a sucker for a perfect English pub. Adding these to the visit list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bet it is all sorts of magical at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great advert for some of my favourite villages. I went to nursery in Shere and spent hours feeding the ducks there and Gomshall Mill used to be a gift shop, which was my favourite place to browse for gifts. they are beautiful villages and need to be visited by everyone! I must visit the Dabbling Duck tea shop - it looks lovely and I would also recommend the King William pub too - perfect for a post walk lunch! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This exactly what an English village looks like in my dreams. Have yet to get over there, but this post makes it all the more tempting! Great photography, also!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll have to remember King William! I just love that area!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you! The area of Surrey is full of English country charm from one village to the next!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness! I think your discoveries always manage to outdo the last ones. This spot looks divine!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...