01 September 2014

London Taxi Tour

London, Taxi, Tour, travel, England, UK

My friend, Robyn suffers from fibromyalgia, so tromping through the streets of London was not an option for her.  I ended up pushing her a bit in the end (I felt horrible), she was a trooper!

As I mentioned in my previous post, we both had originally considered a bus tour.  Years ago Jerry and I took a bus tour and loved it.  Once I discovered that taxi tours existed, Robyn was all kinds of excited!!  

I contact 2 different taxi tour guides and David from Love London Taxi Tours worked out with our time schedule.  

London, Taxi, Tour, travel, England, UK

I'm so glad he did, he was incredible!! His Trip Advisor reviews support that with nothing but excellent ratings!  Accommodating, fun, informative and I felt like we were fast friends in the end!

London, Taxi, Tour, travel, England, UK

The London taxi driver test, known as "The Knowledge," initiated in 1865 has changed little since.  It is amongst one of the most difficult tests in the world.  Cabbie wanna-bes need to know no fewer than 320 routes, 25,000 streets and approximately 20,000 places of interest.  It can take a few years to prepare just to take the test.  Even further testing must be done to become a taxi tour guide and a certificate is awarded upon completion.  It's like a London Intersect in your brain (any Chuck fans out there?).
  
We met up right before the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace.  David dropped us off for a few minutes to bump our way through the crowd to catch a glimpse of the ceremonies.  It's a crazy place to be!

Look at those crowds!!

London, Taxi, Tour, travel, England, UK, Buckingham Palace


London, Taxi, Tour, travel, England, UK, Buckingham Palace

London, Taxi, Tour, travel, England, UK
  
Robyn wanted a close up of a Queen's Guard.  David took us just around the corner to St James Palace and we happened upon a changing of the guard.

London, Taxi, Tour, travel, England, UK, changing of the guard, St James Palace, Queen's Guard

I giggled a bit when seeing the guy on the left (below).  I can't imagine he could see very well!

London, Taxi, Tour, travel, England, UK, changing of the guard, Queen's Guard, St James Palace

London, Taxi, Tour, travel, England, UK, St James Palace, Queen's Guard, changing of the guard

 Just around the corner is Pickering Place.

London, Taxi, Tour, travel, England, UK, Pickering Place

This courtyard, said to be the tiniest in Britain, is packed full of history.  Once home of the Republic of Texas' embassy and the last duel was fought here!!

London, Taxi, Tour, travel, England, UK, Pickering Place

We took a 3 hour tour, stopping to get photos.  Such a great way to see a lot in a short time.

London, Taxi, Tour, travel, England, UK

London, Taxi, Tour, travel, England, UK

London, Taxi, Tour, travel, England, UK

A dragon boundary marker near The Tower of London.

London, Taxi, Tour, travel, England, UK, dragon, City of London, Square Mile, dragon marker

The dragons mark the boundary of the City of London, where gates to the City once stood.  Did you know there is London, or Greater London and then the City of London, or the "City" or also known as the "Square Mile" which is a county of London and houses a large trade & financial district.

We ended our tour at Covent Garden.

Chinatown, Covent Garden, London, Taxi, Tour, travel, England, UK

If you're interested in a tour of London with David, you can choose from a wide variety of tours.  From a Harry Potter to a Secret Tour, from an all day tour to a day trip to Stonehenge/Windsor or Hampton Court.  I don't think you will be disappointed!

This was my first time in a London taxi.  What about you?  Have you ridden in one of London's great taxis or want to come do just that??

10 comments:

  1. I never knew they did taxi tours in London. so cool! I have only ever done one in Belfast, which was awesome. Also, I only found out about 'the knowledge' a couple of weeks ago on a Ghost Tour - random! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to blog world! :) I sure have missed your posts and hope you had a great summer. This looks like a wonderful way to see London in a personalized way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know about Taxi tours either!! So cool! Your photography is so lovely and you are looking beautiful!
    Have a great week,
    Tammyx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool - I never knew you could take taxi tours! If I ever do it - I'll take your recommendation I think, it seems like you had such a good experience with this particular cab! And it's so funny, my boyfriend and I were talking the other about how much cabbies in London must know, because it's so massive! Now I know how hard their test is - crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tina! Long time no see! It appears we've both gotten back into blogging at the same time. I hope you had a good break!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was new to me too and so glad I found it!! There is no way I could do a test like 'the knowledge.' I think my brain would explode! =P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Tanya!! I need to catch up on my blog reading too and see how you're settling in. Seen a bit on instagram! Hope all is going well and you're getting settled!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always excited to find things like this!! And thank you, thank you!! It's nice to have you around to make me feel good!! =) When you coming back this way again?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was fun!! It amazes me what cabbies have to go through!! I don't know if you read the article, but they also have to show up to the test in nice attire!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Sarah!! It has been awhile!! Hope you had a great summer!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...