25 March 2014

Foods Across Europe

One of the things I love about having lived in several different countries is exposure to the local foods and learning to make it.

I've decide to feature a few foods from each place that we've lived in our expat journey.  Here goes!

Russia

Vereniki
vereniki, Russian, food, travel

A pasta dough stuffed with various fillings, similar to ravioli.  My favorite vereniki is stuffed with potatoes (Crazy, I know! Pasta stuffed with potatoes, but it's delicious!).  And for a sweet variety, vereniki stuffed with cherries served with a sweet sour cream sauce. Yum!

Salad Olivye (Potato Salad)
Russian, food, travel, salad,

This is my go to potato salad.  Packed full of all kinds of veggie goodness!

Borsch
Russian, food, travel, borsch

Some might be turned off by the beets or the color of this soup, but let me tell you.  There are lots of other flavors going on in there.  It is delicious with that dollop of sour cream!

I've made salad olivye and borsch a few times, but I've never taken photos.  In my google search I came across Natasha's Kitchen.  I fell in love with her blog and she graciously allowed me to use her photos.  Check out some of her Russian/Ukrainian dishes as well as much more!

Czech Republic

Czcch Goulash with bread dumplings
Czech food, food, Czech Republic, travel, goulash

A bit different from the Hungarian goulash, but still so very tasty!  And a fun touch to be served from a pot like the one above.

Trdelnik
Czech food, food, Czech Republic, travel, trdelnik

My favorite street snack!  A pastry cooked over an open flame on a round pin called a trdlo and once finished, rolled in cinnamon and sugar and sometimes almonds.

Czech food, food, Czech Republic, travel, terdelnik

Spain

You learned from last weeks post how much I love churros!  I also have to add to the list.....

Paella
Spain, Spanish food, food, paella, travel

I fell in love with paella while in Spain.  So much so I knew I needed to learn how to make it!  I blogged about it here.

Austria

Nürnberger Sausages
Nurnberger, Nurnberg, sausage, Germany, Austria

Now, before anyone tells me "wrong country" I do realize the Nürnberger is from Nürnberg, Germany.   I have never been a big sausage fan.  They've always smelled good to me, but I never found one I liked until I discovered the Nürnberger rostbratwurst.  These little gems are sold all over the place and it was while living in Austria that I fell in love with them, therefore, I am sticking them under Austria.  I am so glad there is a store close by here in England that sells these!

Good ole Austrian market fare, homemade chips and pumpkin spread.

Austria, Austrian food, chips, crisps, pumpkin, travel, food

You don't find much pumpkin that is sweetened in Austria.  It's savory in the way of spreads and soups.  And the homemade chips (or crisps) are amazing!  Fresh and crunchy!

England
Cream Tea (scone, clotted cream, jam & tea) and Afternoon Tea are my favorite favourite meal in England!

afternoon tea, tea, food, English food, travel,

Sandwiches, scones and dessert!  Yes, please!

What are your best or worst travel food experiences?
Share in the comments or join us by linking up.

-----

Each week Bonnie, Melanie and I feature a post from the previous weeks link up.  This week I'm featuring Foreign Geek's post about extending her family in a foreign country.  I absolutely loved reading about her experience and have had the pleasure of similar encounters in our travels.  Go check out her post and see how she spent time with a friend's family while traveling.


Want to join in our Travel Tuesday link up?

HERE IS HOW IT WORKS:
1. SHARE a post about travel!  From road trips to trips abroad and from past travels to dream vacations. You can write about travel tips and tricks, favorite places to stay, or anything in between! Just make it about traveling somewhere!
2. GRAB the lovely button. If you run into trouble, just make sure to mention Bonnie, Melanie & Tina in a link! 
3. LINKUP goes live every Tuesday at 0800 GMT.

TIPS: 
1. Please only one linked up post per blogger. Save other posts for future linkups!
2. The last Tuesday of every month will be a themed prompt if you want to join in!
3. HOP around and meet new travel loving bloggers! Check back to visit some of the newer travel posts!

Travel Tuesday




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...