22 September 2013

The Dream of a Gondola

Since I can remember, I was a dreamer. My second childhood home was on a quiet cul-de-sac in front of a beautiful lake.  I spent much time sitting on our dock dreaming of growing up.


My many day dreaming moments consisted of turning 18 (I find this funny now), dating, my wedding day, maybe one day having kids, exploring the coastline of Australia and riding a gondola in Venice.

I'm not sure where those dreams of travel came from.  I can only imagine it was the opportunities I had as a child.  From taking a road trip to southeast Alaska to the Spring Break trip to Hawaii with my parents when I was in 7th grade. Then there were the several trips to Texas & New Mexico over the years to visit family.

Venice, July 2000

After college I did meet my special guy (dream fulfilled).  One thing he wanted me to know early on was that he had a calling to live and work overseas.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think that gondola ride would become a reality, let alone spend most of my adult years living in Europe.  We moved to Russia in October 1999.  Our first vacation spot.......Venice, Italy in July 2000.

I have to say, that gondola ride almost didn't happen.


 Do you know how ridiculously expensive those gondola rides are?  Ridiculous!!  But Jerry  reminded me that I'd dreamt of riding a gondola since I was a child and wanted to make it possible for me!  After a little haggling and walking away initially, the gondolier agreed to a trip that was half the amount of time as a normal trip (I'm cheap, what can I say).  We took it!




We were so young, and look at that girl with the extremely short hair! Ugh!


What a good guy he is!  Gotta love him for making my dream come true!

What were your childhood dreams?  Did you have a dream to travel?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...