06 June 2011

Today They Are 5!


 This morning as my twinks are turning 5,  I began to think about the morning of June 6, 2006.  I had been up in the wee hours of the morning due to insomnia.  I was 37 weeks, 6 days.  Somehow I managed to climb back in bed and get a bit more sleep.  When I woke up at about 8, I realized I was bleeding.  It wasn't heavy, but it was scary none the less!

Jerry was getting our not even 14 month old daughter out of bed and I came in crying and explained my fears.  I giggle a little thinking about his response.  My level headed hubby!  He looked at me and with the most calm voice said "Well, go call the doctor."

My doctor, also being a very level headed lady, answered her phone and instructed me (very calmly, I might add) to get myself to the hospital as quickly as we could.

We had to arrange for someone to take Karis, but we have some great colleagues who stepped in and in no time were at our door to pick her up.  While we were waiting I decided to get a shower and put makeup on.  I couldn't go out of the house without it!!  My hubby laughs about that to this day!

We had a taxi come pick us up (we didn't have a car).  The Lord gave me such peace at this time.  Even allowing me to feel my babies moving around inside me.

We got to the hospital where my doctor was waiting, somewhat chomping at the bit when I think about it now.  Her and another doctor cleared the sonogram room and got me right in.  I'm not sure why now, but they didn't let Jerry in with me.  They saw the babies were doing ok, but needed to get them out fast.  We discussed how they would take them and the three of us (me and the 2 doctors) decided
that putting me completely under for a c-section (which I was scheduled to have just a week later) was the safest quickest way.

I wish I could have been present in mind when my twins were born, but it was not to be.

The room was a buzz around me as they prepped me for surgery.  So many people coming and going and in a very quick manner.  The great thing is, all I felt was peace.  Jerry got to stand in the doorway.  He describes it as being like a cartoon.  It's interesting when you think about the fact that Jerry got to experience the whole birth and didn't.

My situation was very dangerous.  I had placenta previa, which means the placenta was lying low to my cervix.  In my case it began to detach from the uterine wall.  The blessing is we acted fast.  From the time I woke up to the time they delivered was just over 2 hours!

I did not know the extent of our situation until later.  My doctor told me afterward that she saw no need to scare us, but she knew that only God could do a miracle like that.  It's neat how it opened the doors for us to share the Lord with her.
Reegan
 Brennan
In the background of this whole story.....my parents were on a plane scheduled to land that day, June 6.  Since I was out for a good portion of the day and Jerry unable to see Brennan & Reegan much, he decided to go pick my parents up from the airport.  They got to come to the hospital for a quick visit.  I got to wave at them from ICU and they had a chance to peek at Brennan & Reegan and take over the duties as Karis' caretakers for the week while we were in the hospital.  Crazy times!!
A day that will ever be etched in my mind!!  Our beginning as a family of 5!
Jerry came across this while sorting through his office for our move.
Their party last week at school.

Happy Birthday Brennan & Reegan!!  We love you!!

6 comments:

  1. Karon & Lisa, I was playing around with using a comment system and messed up your comments. I am posting them here

    From Karon:
    Thank you for sharing that story, Tina -- I had not remembered all those details! You must have been so scared -- but I do have to giggle at you not leaving your house without makeup on! :) Happy Birthday to Brennan and Reegan!

    From Lisa:
    awh, cuties! what a great story of the Lords hand on you!!!
    happy birthday to your lil ones. enjoy the celebrations xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great story!!! thanks for sharing! happy birthday B and R :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story - one I hadn't heard before! Happy birthday Brennan and Reegan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful story. God was truly watching out for you and your babies! My baby is only 15 months but I just know I'll blink and it will be is 5th birthday. enjoy this time! Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day, isn't SITS great?!

    http://lifelovesleah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful story with a beautiful result! God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember that day too! Jman is turning five in a few weeks :) For some reason I didn't remember it being placenta previa/disconnecting, etc. I am so glad God was taking care of you and your wee ones the whole time! Happy b-day B&R!

    ReplyDelete

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...