18 September 2008

Fossil Rim


Grandma and Grandpa (my parents) have been wanting to take the kids to Fossil Rim Wildlife Center.  It is a drive through safari/zoo and you can feed the animals from your car.  With the change in our plans we thought this would be a good time to go.  We had another day of great weather!!
I wasn’t sure how this was going to work with the kids being strapped into their carseats.  My dad made me realize that these were not public roads, therefore we did not need to keep the kids strapped, so we unstrapped the kids, threw the car seats in the back and moved them around from lap to lap.  They even got to help Grandpa drive!!  I’m SO glad we did that, otherwise I don’t think it would have been as fun!
 



As we got started it seemed like all there was were God’s different variations of a deer....Axis, falow, Red, Sika, White-tailed, as well as all the antelope...Addax, Blackbuck, Waterbuck, Sable, and Bongo, just to name a few.  



But we did get to experience Emus, Giraffe, Zebra, Ostriche, and a few others, including Rhinos and even Cheetahs.  Although the last 2 were behind a fence, so no feeding THOSE particular animals!



There are no pictures of us feeding the zebras.  


 Karis heard us reading the signs that the zebras bite.  Her and Reegan were sitting in the front seats with Grandpa and Daddy when 2 zebras both stuck their heads in the van at the same time.  Both girls started crying and screaming, while Mama & Grandma laughed out loud in the back seats!!  Wish I had a picture of that!  Ha!!  Neither one was injured and Grandpa acted quickly by hitting the gas pedal to get outta dodge.

Karis was also not impressed with the giraffe that we lured to our vehicle! 


 Especially after the little incidence with the zebras.  I was quite excited to feed a giraffe.  Even got giraffe slobber all over my hand!!  That’s my hand peeking through to the side of my dad!

At the halfway mark there was an eating area/gift shop/petting zoo.



Those zebras and giraffe did Karis in and whining ensued every time an animal even dared approach our vehicle!  She especially did NOT like the ostriches!  Actually, none of them were impressed by the ostriches.  Can’t blame them, they are kinda funny looking.


 All in all, it was a good day, with a little rest in the car on the way home!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hear from readers and connecting with you!

Deeper

  Deeper - adj. 1. extending or situated relatively far down from a surface: a deep pool. It's been a long time since I've ...